1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

digitech hyper phase

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Sep 6, 2008.

1. http://www.digitech.com/products/pedals/HyperPhase.php

anyone uses this? couldn't find anything in the review section too. search leads to naught. has anyone tried this? is it similar to the boss phaser or does it suck bass?

basically any views on this pedal would be great help!:)

2. no replies? bump!

3. hmmmmmmmmm so no one has tried this pedal? :(

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Haven't tried it, but Digitech has proved untrustworthy product-wise. The only modern things they do well IMO are the Whammy IV and the Jamman (though some people like their BSWs). Try it before you buy it, but if you can't, don't bother with it.

5. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I disagree. I think Digitech sometimes get a hard time undeservedly. Their build quality is fantastic and they've got some really good pedals at great prices. Check out the Bad Monkey as an example. Their Bass Chorus is also excellent at its price point.

I have tried the Hyperphase and found it to be good on bass. I particularly liked the step phase mode. The only reason I didn't keep it was because I didn't have much use for it. A very versatile phaser though.

6. The only trouble I had with the BSW is the fact that it eats batteries. When I first got mine, I didn't know it did, so I thought I broke it :p

On the Hyper-Phase, I have no comment.

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I used to own a HyperPhase and I thought it was a good sounding, versatile phaser. It compares favorably with a Boss PH-3, IMO. Both of them sound pretty cold, but I think that's OK sometimes. I would recommend a HyperPhase to someone looking to get a lot of phaser for the bucks. Good luck.

8. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    The Digitech pedals are junk. The Whammy, Jam man, and their Hardwire pedals are the only reason why I still consider them an actual company nowadays. Sure, maybe that cheap sounding phaser will work for 3 months, but good luck keeping it alive ;)

So i'm obviously against it. :D

9. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    After sorting thru various phasers I swear I still can't find anything to beat my MXR Phase 90 for my basses! Clear, good solid range of the effect and, for me, absolutely noiseless and spikeless engaging/disengaging. And not many bucks outta your pocket.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I have tried this, and I really liked it.

11. thanks ya all :D

12. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    how does this phaser compare to the boss ph-3? bass-shy put his words in but i want to see if it differs greatly from the boss.

13. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    used one for a short time. it was pretty great.

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I actually just got one of these. I was buying some others stuff on Musician's Friend and bought it on a whim.

Build quality aside, I like the actual tones from the Digitech better than the Boss PH-3. The Boss did step phasing better (or at least more "usable" step phasing), but otherwise I thought the Digitech had better sounds.

Like the Boss, the sounds are digital and plasticky and it sounds a bit thin on bass. On the other hand, it doesn't totally replace your tone the way the PH-3 does. If you want organic and swirly phasing, it isn't for you. If you want electronic sounds, give it a try.

I've heard there's a volume drop associated with it and it seems that way, but I have yet to play it with my actual rig (just my little practice amp so far) so I haven't been able to tell for sure or note how severe it is.

Edit: IMO, here's the problem with this pedal. If I wanted warm, natural phasing on a budget, I'd go with the Small Stone. (Many like the Phase 90. Not my choice, but that's fine, it's another solid option in the price range) And if I wanted digital, somewhat gimmicky sounding phase tones, I'd go with the Boss. The Digitech falls in between. It sounds "better" than the Boss, but is still too digital to compete for a "true" phase tone with the EHX or MXR. My $0.02.

15. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    awesome. that pretty much nailed it for me.

16. thanks for going the review. i have prety much made up my mind to buy a small stone nano or the subdecay phaser incase i have some more $$