Digitech Jam man

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Oct 8, 2005.

1. flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    This might be the wrong place for this but...I've been working with the Jamman for a month or so now (my wife is a modern dance choreographer and I wanted to be able to do some looping as part of the music for her shows) but it turns out to be an increadible device for the bassist.
    First it is a looping pedal, which means that if you play in a line in time it will play it back as a loop...
    This means you can practice melody and harmony and intonation and rhythm in a whole new and expansive way. Also it has a mic and hi Z input so it is a blender too.
    If you get good at it you can make longer phrases (or just use the ckick trac) or a full chorus (it loops for hours so there is plenty of space)
    play melody on top of a bass line or vise versa
    play the melody with a bow
    playing for long streches (melodies)in thumb position over a bass line
    (it makes a huge difference in how you phrase a melody in thumb position if there is a bass line under it)
    make and learn how to play over odd time phrases, compose etc.
    just practice into it and listen back instantly without setting down your instrument.instant and informative feedback.
    Get a real sense of how your amp sounds from different parts of the room.
    Yesterday I accompanied my wifes dance class with just the bass and the pedal. It really expanded the whole sphere of what I had to offer. Just being able to take out the bow as a second texture creates very rich musical possibilities.
    I thouht it was going to be a limited thing for a few purposes but I practice with it every day...
    Anybody else out there looping bass for practice or performance?
  2. jbahleda

Feb 22, 2004
    I used t use a dl 4 delay/looper that line 6 put out, but it kind of got coopted by my guitarist....afer a year of him using it on stage nightly with me drooling over the memory of the few weeks I had with my toy, I just sold it to him......I miss it, but it bacame an integral part of his pedalboard.......

I hear the new boss looper is not bad either.