1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

digitech processor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oathbass462, May 6, 2006.

1. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    i'm thinkin' about repurchasing a digitech bp-80 to set on whammy permenantly (since the actual bass whammy is out of production). i once owned it, but sold it because i couldn't figure it out, and thought it would useless on stage, and now i realize that it's justabout the only thing that has a whammy effect for bass on it at a good price. but before i decide to buy it i'd like to know: how do you set it on whammy, and does it give the effect i am looking for? i plan to use it to play tool songs, and i wanna use it in my band's music. thanks in advance guys.

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    From what I hear, the BP-80 whammy settings are pretty terrible.

I just picked up a Whammy 4 reissue, $200 US. I haven't played the bass Whammy, but the sound quality is supposed to be very similar. I'm really loving this Whammy 4 so far, and though it's more expensive than a BP-80, the price is well worth it ($200 US).

So yeah, check it out.

-Dash

3. oathbass462

oathbass462 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    so the guitar whammy does work for the bass? awesome, i was told it wouldnt handle the lower notes, any truth to this from what you tried? i've been looking at it on ebay.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I personally noticed a slight delay that drove me nuts. Just due to the nature of the low frequencies.

5. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I don't have any experience with the 80. The whammy on the BP200 is very decent. I think most of the settings are good on the BP200 except a few that make no sense at all. The only drawback to the digitech processors that i've noticed is that they're loud... especially in bypass mode ... alot of white noise etc. Good for the money though.

6. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    With the Whammy 4 Reissue (the current one), once you go down below about 1 octave on bass it doesn't sound so great. But then again, why are you using it to go down, you should use it to go up :p

And yeah, there is a *slight* bit of low-end suck if you just leave the thing on, so be sure to turn it off after you're done with it. But it sounds perfectly fine while you're using it. And I imagine if you also use the bypass loop on the pedal, that would correct all these problems.

-Dash