1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DigiTech SDRUM & Beat Buddy pedals (OWNERS)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by crios, Sep 3, 2018.

1. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    Are you an owner of a DigiTech SDRUM or Beat Buddy pedal? I do not want to compare one to the other, I just want to know what owners of either think in regards to the pedal they've chosen to use - the pros and cons in other words from an owners POV).

Matthew_84 likes this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

just eavesdropping.

FilterFunk, Fuzzbass and Matthew_84 like this.
  3. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

Jan 24, 2012
    paris, france
    I had the Sdrum and really liked it ... a very efficient tool for practicing and developing ideas ... I used it with Ableton and was able to loop and play along , but I realized after a few months that I was too lazy and eventually did not use it for a while , so I sold it ..

Even made a little demo

Fuzzbass likes this.
  4. geolikezik

geolikezik Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Switzerland
    I had the Beat Buddy and liked it a lot but I felt overwhelmed with scrolling menus or programming, also a bit bulky and plasticky ... so I sold it.
    Now I am using the DigiTech SDRUM and I am very pleased, much simpler and feels more sturdy.
    Both render very realistic audio samples.

It really depends on your needs, if you need already created patterns, possibility to add complex rhythms, extensive live performance controls, MIDI support and more then BeatBuddy is the way to go. I only need to easily record a loop using kick and snare and let the SDRum do its trick to be ready to jam in less than a minute, it is extremely efficient for that purpose. In case you haven't seen it there is a BeatBuddy vs SDrum on BeatBuddy website (slightly biased, it claims that SDrum has no built in visual metronome which is partially incorrect), here for you convenience:

BeatBuddy vs SDrum
    When comparing the BeatBuddy to the SDrum there’s only really one area where the SDrum has an edge: price. The SDrum retails for $199 while the BeatBuddy costs $299. But as you’ll see here, the extra costs if worth it.
    The BeatBuddy is better than the SDrum in nearly every category. First and foremost, it enables more live control over the beat than the SDrum, which only allows for the switching of song parts.
    The SDrum is also limited to guitar only, has no built in visual metronome, only 5 drum sets, and can only store 36 songs. The BeatBuddy by contrast comes with 200+ songs, 10 drum sets, and the ability to load up to 3.2 million more songs, and 300+ drum sets. We even provide the free companion software so that you can create your own custom content for your BeatBuddy!
    Additionally, the BeatBuddy supports all time signatures while the SDrum only supports 3/4 and 4/4 time signatures. But, it doesn’t end there. The BeatBuddy has full standard MIDI support while the SDrum can only use JamSync to sync up with Digitech loopers only.

Extracted from BeatBuddy: A Drum Machine that Sounds Human | Singular Sound

Hope it helps

DaDo625 and cosmicevan like this.
  5. crios

crios

Feb 14, 2017
    Miami, Florida
    Thanks for the input!

6. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I own a Beat Buddy and love it. It made perfect sense right out of the box. I tried the SDRUM in the store and I was utterly confused. YMMV.

I would say that in my experience that description on the Beat Buddy website is fair. I use the MIDI stuff, and it's important to me.

Disclosure, see my disclosures.

7. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    A bit late on the reply, but I have the new Beat Buddy Mini 2. It is an excellent practice tool.

BeatBuddy MINI 2, The Drum Machine That Doesn't Suck | Singular Sound

There's not a lot of info out there on this yet, so I kind of took a chance.

It's not as full-featured as the Beat Buddy, but it's form factor is better and it is quite simple to use. That's important to me as I don't want to fiddle with it much. Just want to pick a genre, set tempo as needed on the fly and go. I'm very pleased with it.

The drum sounds are good (not great, but not cheesy either), lots of variety in terms of genre and time signatures, and the metronome is great with every time signature you could possibly need. I don't have the other pedals so can't compare, but figured I'd chime in here. Hope it helps!

Fuzzbass and cosmicevan like this.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Got nothin' to add except that Sweetwater has the S*DRUM on sale for $100 thru 12/31. Does this mean a new version is on the way (NAMM)? Regardless, for that price I decided to order.

willsellout likes this.
  9. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    Doubt there will be a new version

Fuzzbass likes this.
  10. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Other sites and physical stores as well.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the add'l info, guys. So it's possible that I'm getting a dinosaur that'll be left without manufacturer support, but the Sweetwater 2 year warranty applies so I should get my hundred bucks worth out of it regardless.

12. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    The DOD Rubberneck is also on sale. Picked up that and the Sdrum.

But when you buy anything, no guarantee you will get manufacturer support a year in the future anyway.

Picked them up because the price was right at the sale price