Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech Synth Wah as an octave pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vision, Jan 26, 2006.

1. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm looking for a good octave pedal, and I've heard good things about the Digitech Synth Bass Wah. I have a question about the controls...can you independantly control that volume of the octave down and the original note when using it as an octave pedal?

Also, how are the synth sounds on this pedal?

2. The sub-octave, Definitely blendable.

3. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Cool! Does anyone use it as a synth pedal?

4. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I use the synth types a bit, but nowdays I mainly use it as an octaver. (And yes, you can blend the octaved note!)

The synth modes are decent, but I don't have much use for them in my style of playing. The OctaSub wah filter sounds great though (autowah+octave, mmm).

-Dash

5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i usually just use octave down setting, with the blippy sound mixed out

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I too just use it as an octaver (blendable as people correctly say). Tracks well, best octave pedal I've used - don't like the synth sounds particularly, but I'm not a fan of bass synth anyway. Wah isn't bad, but not in the same class as my MXR bass auto Q.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    It's my misc pedal I always have it on my board currently it's doing synth stuff for a cover song, it's a great octaver and then very middle of the road for everything else, it's an alright filter but not as good as a standalone pedal but it would get you through a gig same with the other modes.

It's a great pedal if you need to cover a few bases

8. For the synth sounds, is it possible to get that square wave sound, but WITHOUT the swell/wah thing that it does????

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah but it's not gonna be like playing through a fuzz you might find when playing fast there is a slight delay due to the tracking

10. awsome. I wont be using that sound for fast playing. Cruisy, weird, ambient synth stuff things will be going on

For the fuzz... i have my BIGBALLS (big muff + bassballs)

And then some other fuzz on its way...

Peace

11. It's a very good octave pedal, & you can even blend a little synth into the octave sound. As far as the rest of the stuff it does, there may be something there you can use, depending on what you are doing. If you want your bass to sound out of control weird, it can do that for you.

12. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Sounds great! I'm planning on using it mostly as an octave pedal, and use the synth effects every now and then. Being able to blend some synth sound into the octave effect is a big plus.

I just ordered it, so I'll post a review when it comes in!

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I got rid of the Boss Octave pedal I had on my board because the BSW suited needs perfectly. The synth and wah effects are quite good as well and I use them frequently.

In terms of versatility, it's a fine pedal. It's sort of my "Swiss Army Knife" pedal, if you will (and, you will ;) ).

14. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    The pedal came today, and I'm very impressed! Just as an octave pedal it is alot better than the MXR I used to play with. The notes don't break up nearly as much, and the tone is really good. I also like some of the synth patches. I really wasn't expecting much there but I'll definitely get some good use out of those sounds.

Quick question...I know that people above here said that the octave effect is blendable, but I can seem to get that to work. I can control the level of the octave effect, but how do I turn down the original signal? Sometimes I would like to just have the lower octave note and not hear the original note at all. Is this possible?

15. it was a fun pedal, until it stopped working.

16. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    *bump*

anyone know how to control the original note vs. the octave down note, so i can just hear the octave down?

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah the control knob is a blend between the octave all the way clockwise is octave only, not that you'd really be able to amplify this all that well, but thats how you'd do it

18. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    hmm...when i turn the control knob it turns up the level of the octave down, but the original note is still there just as strong.

19. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I wish Digitech's manual for the thing was better.......