1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

digitech synth wah: no sound in bypass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Ethanator, Sep 27, 2008.

1. i went to my local store earlier with my dad (he plays guitar and wanted to pick something up), and they had a digitech bass synth wah pedal available. having listened to clips online of it previously, i asked if i could take a look at it. i grabbed a 4-string samick (passive elevtronics, volume/tone controls), plugged in, and turned the pedal on. it was a fun little pedal and scrolling through the modes i found some cool sounds that i could potentially use (being a metal player). even if it wouldnt be in a song, i like to record my own stuff and mess around with it. but anyway, i pushed the switch to put it in bypass, and no sound came out. it wasnt a volume problem, as the volume on the bass was fuly cranked, there isnt a volume control on the pedal, and the volume on the amp was unchanged. is it just a lemon, or is it something up with all digitech pedals? it was being run with a 9-volt, no power cable. also, the cable was running out of the out 2 (effect) slot. i think thats the problem, but im just checking. thanks!

2. Akeris

Akeris

Jul 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yup. I do that all the time and it takes me like an hour to figure out. :scowl:

3. Yeah, using the other output will solve your problem :)

4. sweet... so that moves the digitech synth and chorus back off of my 'do not want' list after their 5-hour stay there :)

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep, that tripped me up when I first got mine. I planned to run it stereo, but found out that when the effect is off, so is the sound. Just as well, I'm too lazy to carry that rack around.

6. so running out of the other output will allow you to use the effect normally? I.E. you can stomp to get the effect and then stomp again to turn off the effect (and still pass signal)? I'm trying to understand the difference between these outputs (and how to wire it up) as I may be getting one of these soon.

Jay

7. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    Yes, the effect output is only going to send sound out if you stomp it (red light on.) The normal (dry) path works both ways (the way you would except it to.)

8. the system with the outputs on this pedal is a little wierd.

If you plug a cable into the "out 1 normal (dry)" output then the signal will be your normal tone when the pedal is bypassed, and the effected (i.e. synthamified) tone will be present when the pedal is engaged.

If you plug a cable in the "out 2 (effect)" output, you will get the synth sound when the pedal is on, and nothing at all (silence) when the pedal is off.

if you plug a cable into both outputs (if you are using two amps, for example) then this will happen:
    pedal bypassed: Out 1 muted, Out 2 has normal signal
    Pedal engaged: Out 1 has the synthamified signal, out 2 is muted.

so, to conclude you want to use "out 1 normal (dry)" in your case.

9. Appreciate it very much. I actually found a .pdf manual of the synth wah (not the bass version) - that helped clear it up as well.

Thanks again,
    Jay

10. How is the bass synth wah's bypass, and where do you guys normally use it in the chain?

I ask given the nice comments about its octaver function - typically octavers work better toward the beginning of the chain...I also need to decide whether to put this in a separate loop or not.

Thanks in advance,
    Jay

11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I don't have a problem with the BSW's bypass. I use great-sounding basses and high-quality, short cables. I usually run the BSW first in my FX chain.

12. Thanks,
    Jay

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    The bypass is quiet, I dont hear any change in my tone, either that or my bass amp is set up to accomodate any coloration.
    I use mine at the beginning of the chain.

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    1st in the chain. No prob with the bypass.

15. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    and if not, thats what you call a broken pedal..

but yeah thats almost definately the problem.

16. For all the answers to the questions...

Jay