Digitech Turbo Flange

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by heretic, May 3, 2005.

1. I recently obtained this pedal in a trade and I must say... I'M IN LOVE. Its a guitar pedal but it sounds good on bass. I can get all these great "aquatic-like" sounds out of it and it sounds good when playing TOOL's "46 and 2", although its not a chorus pedal. Just thought I would share... anyone else use one? :hyper:

Just one Q: What does "flange" mean?

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I always loved a BOSS BF-2, but can't say I've tried this one.
  3. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    the name comes from the fact that the effect was first created by pressing down on the tape flanges as the tape played. I don't know why that particular part of the tape player is called a flange though.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Mmmmmmmmm Forty Six and 2 effect is sexy!

Happy playing! I just use the chorus on my amp.
  5. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    That's good, because Tool's bassist uses a flanger on that song.
  6. (Homer on)

Mmmmmmm..... flaaange

(Homer off)
  7. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    IIRC, the flange is the side of the tape. Back in the day, engineers would place their finger on the side of the tape on a reel to reel during mixdown. This would slightly slow down the speed of the tape and create the effect that we know as "flanging". Please correct me if I'm wrong. The Turbo Flange appears to be a pretty sweet pedal and I have no doubt that it sounds great with bass. I have the Hyper Phase and really love it's range and response. I've been thinking about adding a flanger to my rig........perhaps this is the one for me, too.