DigiTech vs Boss Single Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Keeaumoku, May 9, 2005.

1. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Aloha Thumpers...

I gotta admit I'm kinda lost in the bass effects quagmire. Thinking I could go it on my own, without first seeking any help from you... my brothers and sisters who support the bottom-end... I done did, what I'm sure a very small number of you share a little bit of guilt in doing... I threw some hard-earned bucks down the musicians' toilet! I bought something that I eventually relinquished...

I purchased a DigiTech BP200. I didn't seek any advice from anyone... not even you, my TB brothers and sisters, before giving up the credit card. I received the item in perfect order, played around with it for a considerable amount of time, only to find that I just flat didn't like it.

I got the BP200 from zZounds. I'm not about to knock them... they did their job. zZounds has their 30-day return policy, and it's quite apparent they stick to it... literally. I just wish they would've cut me a little slack with that policy, but I will accept that they won't. After fooling around with the BP200 for a little over 2 months, I wanted to return it to them, but I was also seeking to exchange, then purchase something else. Any reasonable restocking charges would've been understood and accepted. They weren't willing to go there, but that's okay... I did, indeed, read and understand their returns policy, so don't worry, zZounds, you still have me as a customer.

I want simple effects. I like chorus, reverb and wah. That's just about it. I got caught-up in the superb marketing prose regarding the BP200, thus believing it was just the multi-effects module for me, so I went for it! Not for me...

So... I'm looking for suggestions from y'all. DigiTech has their single effects pedals, and so does Boss. I know there's many more out there. I've read some stuff about the AnalogMan's Chorus Clone... that seems like the ultimate unit out there, but very pricey. Apparently they are hand-built, custom made, and I know one has to pay the bucks for quality stuff!

I would like to hear from y'all about your experiences with, and/or suggestions about a chorus pedal and a reverb pedal. Are any of these "mass produced" products of good value, or must I pursue the custom-made route that AnalogMan offers (at least as far as their chorus pedal is concerned)? I'm also thinking about the Dunlop 105Q Wah pedal... any comments and/or suggestions with that piece? :help:

2. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've got the DigiTech "Bass Squeeze" which works pretty well, but I think in general, you'll find the Boss pedals tend to be favored. The Boss stuff tends to be more "idiot-proof", and comparitively hard to get bad sound out of.

Personally, I just went with the Line6 Bass PODxt, at @$300. For all you get, it's hard to beat - and built like a tank! For the price of about 3 low-end stomp-boxes, you get an incredible variety. It is a complicated unit, though, so if you don't like reading user-manuals, I'd steer clear...
  3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    IMO, both sides do things fairly well..

If you are looking for good Chorus, I LOVE the BOSS CEB-3 Bass Chorus.

For Reverb, I've not liked either BOSS or Digitech for pedal reverbs. They sound too.. digital... I'd look at the EHX Holy Grail. It's cheaper than either BOSS or Digitech, and people seem to like it on here. I'm actually thinking of adding either the Holy Grail, or the Danelectro Spring King to an acoustic rig I am building up.

With Wah, are you taking manual wah, dynamic wah or autowah?

If you mean manual wah, try both the Dunlop 105Q, or any of the Morley Wahs. On all of these, try it out first. They have significantly different sounds, and one may be perfect, while another is not what you want.

On Auto-wah's, MXR's got a nice one.

On Dynamic wah's, but the BOSS and the Digitech are good.