Digitech Whammy Damage

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Feb 10, 2002.

1. ok I finally got to try out a Digitech Whammy (new reissue, red... not that Digitech/Wah POS). I really liked a lot of the sounds you could get out of it especially bending the harmonies and using the Detune feature even gave a surprisingly cool chorus sound. I kind of gave up on trying to find a Bass Whammy so I think I am just going to start bidding on a red one on ebay (they usually go for around $100-125).
    Ok, now me real question is what type of damage is possible to damage my speakers with this effect. I'm pretty damn sure that going to low can rip apart the speakers but I was wondering about going to high... can the octave up and two octave up effects go to high for the speakers and tweeter and damage them? I just wanted to know what I was getting myself into before I bought the unit...

Bigfeet, if you think this is better off in amps then feel free to move it.
  2. It's cool.

The whammy shouldn't give you any troubles, but you can bend an E to an F# (22Hz) and ususally at high volumes it can be damaging. A guitarist I've been working with does have problems with breakup when he sets his really low. So using it moderatly should give you no problems.
  3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Right, Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead) can use the pitchshift 2 octives up on a really high gu*tar note (in "Just") and be fine through a gu*tar amp, so modertately high bass harmonies shouldn't hurt your speakers. As was mentioned, the low ones... Unless you are soloing in the upper register, etc. then a lower harmony is useful...