1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Digitech Whammy DT Bass Whammy Emulator tool: Opiate D50

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, Aug 28, 2012.

1. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    to all the Bass Whammy lovers:

just found this litte device on ebay ... the description says:

Opiate D50 is the Digitech Whammy DT Bass Whammy Emulator tool version of Molten Voltage's One Trick Pony
    device (from our PedalSync line of products).

If you've ever wanted to recreate the 5th Up to Octave Up Harmony setting from the fabled Bass Whammy using
    your Digitech Whammy DT, now you can - with a sweep in between!

Watch this VIDEO and have a look for yourself (Opiate is at 0:54):
    http://www.moltenvoltage.com/one_trick_pony_pedalsync_midi_controller.html

any thoughts/experience on this?

2. karstetterpj

karstetterpj

Apr 27, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Commercial User
    I saw that the other day as well. Definitely cheaper than buying a bass whammy but I'd be interested to see a demo video

3. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Why don't Molten Voltage just install two knobs: one to control the toe up limit of the harmony, and one to control toe down? We'd see the parameters on two little LCD screens, and that would be the end of this "I need a Bass Whammy" business, once and for all.

I'm not getting down on Molten Voltage - they do wonderful work, and when I get a free shekel, I'll suggest this mod on a Whammy V that I don't have.

4. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I do this with a HOG, the exp limit knob on my Roland EV-5 and a tuner. Once I get an Expressionator it will be my (polyphonic customizable whammy). That's how I ended the madness!

5. i just got the line6 m5 and an expression pedal and programmed in every type of whammy/harmony effect i wanted! easy peasy

6. You mean the M5 can do the 5th up/octave up thing? I guess it's time to get one.

7. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    i heard the Eventide Pitchfactor (with expression pedal) can also "simulate" the Bass Whammy very well ... maybe i should sell my blue Whammy before prices drop ;-)

8. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Yup I have the M9 and had a bass whammy. The M9 is actually a little cleaner and less glitchy than the whammy but it sounds close enough(if you're trying to do the Tool thing) or better(if you are doing something different). The M9 also tracks more than one note and I have been using it to drop tune instead of tuning my bass down.

9. Could you please elaborate on how this set up works? (Confession- I don't know what a HOG is.)

Thanks.

10. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    The HOG is a now discontinued pedal by Electro-Harmonix that is capapble of MANY pitch-shifting,whammy, polyphonically of course as possible. Here is a link to my club with description, pics and soundclips.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/ehx-h-o-g-club-887087/

My personal set-up is insane (check my profile) BUT the basic set-up is

EHX HOG with compatible exp pedal (I use a Roland EV-5)

I set the HOG in oct-bend mode,no direct signal: set one slifer to orig. (this allows the exp pedal to go from whatever is set to +1 oct)

I then use the knob on the side of the exp pedal (sets the zero point): with toe up I turn the knob until I have a 5th. Now when I go from toe up to down it goes from a 5th to +1. I can do that with ANY interval and whammy up or down an octave. ALL POLYPHONICALLY WITH NO GLITCHES! I run all my fuzz INTO the HOG and it handles it all very very well