Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

digitech whammy question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, Oct 22, 2005.

1. hello there,
    im wonderin how well the whammy would work with producing notes 1 octave up, like from drop A. would the sound get broken up once you get that low? if anyone has tryed it, your thoughts on what you heard would be super. thanks in advance

andy

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It would sound pretty bad. I have one, and i'm not gonna lie.

Why not just play a regular open A and play the octave down?

3. well we play like 2 of our songs in drop a, and i wanted the use the octave up to at least try to cover for a second guitar, cuz we only have one, and during solos i wanted it to sound more full, and not like the rythem stoped happenin. so besides drop a, would low B sound alright? an octave up, or is that still gonna be pretty bad?

4. why can't you just play up the neck, or do double stops on the other strings

Unless you own a one string bass.

5. It's been my experience that it tracks low notes somewhat poorly.....

If you need an octave up sound to fill in the midrange, start playing 3-string power chords....you'll hit the root, 5th and oct no problem, plus it sounds cool on bass.....and if you're playing in a drop tuning, you only need one finger to barre a power chord, so it's not like it'll be challanging.

6. thanks alot screamingdaisy, ill give that a try.

:)

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i love playing chords on bass.. you dont hear it done that often, but it does actually sound pretty good.. obviously i tend to stick to the simple ones.