1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digitech whammy's "octave pedal" function. Use or get an octave pedal as well.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ian the bassist, May 28, 2012.

1. I bought a digitech whammy used today and am loving it. I tested in the guys house. And just from doing a few noises for about 2 minutes, knew it was for me. :)

When I got home I realised there was an octave function on it. To have the original note and an octave down. I think it sounds great. But I have agreed to buy a used boss OC3 off another guy on a used gear site.

Am not sure whether I should call off the sale and apologise to the guy and go with the octave on whammy, or buy it off him. I think it the whammy's sounds great. Have heard the OC3 in action on you tube. And think it sounds great. But there is no way of adjusting the level of the octave on the whammy. Where there is on the OC3. And it is just for low octaves, so is highly adjustable.

I was only gonna use the octave pedal for boosting the bottom during guitar solos. And the level on the octave of the whammy seems like it might do the trick. Just wondering what someone with experience would think? I do love it's sound. But not sure I want to shovel out another 70 euro on an octave pedal, when there is an octave on this pedal, that I like. Opinions?

I know if I have it set to the octave, I won't be able to use the whammy function without changing the setting during a song. So that could be a problem if I wanted to use the whammy function. Hmmmmmmmmm.

2. Mitchinboxer

Mitchinboxer

Jan 25, 2012
    Personally, I think the Boss octavers are some of the most musical effects around. So many bassists I know have totally fallen in love with the sound of them. Definitely go the guy's house and try it out before cancelling the sale.

3. I don't know if you have yet, but, try out the Whammy's octave effect with in a band setting first if you can. Are you going to want to use the octave on the whammy and something else on it also in the same song? Is it going to be easy to switch between different effects on it? I don't know if the whammy is polyphonic when it comes to the octave, but do you need it to be polyphonic if it isn't? I've never used one, so I can't say. But at least try it out with a band before any final choice if you have the ability to.

4. The sounds are just so different that even tho they are octave down effects they are very different, like comparing an overdrive to a fuzz pedal, different beasts.

OC2, OC3 and other octaver effects have a synth quality and an organic quality that a pitch shifter will never capture, for that reason I say go for both.

5. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Stick with the Whammy and save some cash if you like the sound, I prefer it to all the octave, harmonizers and pitchshifters I've owned (a lot) and it sounds and tracks best for 'my' purposes (with a close second being the Line 6 M series) and is plenty Phat enough.

Analog type octavers are also absolutely awesome but a different kind of tonal purpose as Bass brad described above, with the additional issue of some not tracking or following so well.

Also, don't forget the Whammy can be calibrated if the pitch goes slightly out of tune. Often people don't know about this when trying one that has been abused in a shop and think the pitch is useless forever more. ;)

6. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    yeah the re-calibrating is VITAL. Needs to be done often. I used to use a whammy, and found it pretty good for octave needs. THEN I GOT A HOG YALL.

7. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Whoa, of course that thing is a BEAST! ;)

8. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    :bassist:

use to use a whammy (never owned one just borrowed one) and even tried out the bass whammy (pretty impressive)...try/get a HOG...it will go from :) to :bassist::D:p:bag::cool::hyper::eek::):smug::bassist::bassist:

WITH THAT SAID....

the -1OCT on any whammy I've tried always has a sterile sound to it (along with ANY digital octaver that I've heard/tried). If that is the sound you are aiming for then the Whammy can do that and more as well...as discussed preiously an analog octaver will give you more grit/balls but all are monophonic and require a good set-up,proper/clean technique and learning the pedal as well.

me likey both sounds (FAT analog dirty subs and clean sterile digital subs)

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    +1. The Whammy is a digital pitch shifter, it's a very different sound to an analogue octaver, their uses don't really cross over IMO.

10. MrThunderfoot

MrThunderfoot

Apr 18, 2012
    simillar situation for me, I ended up with a pitchfactor though.

11. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    the hog is a beast. and sillyfabe's description of what its like to own one is spot on haha. never looked back, and have still yet to discover all it can do, is that even possible??
    one of the cool things about it is, is you can control the tones of your octaves with the 'freq' and 'resonance' sliders to make them warmer or more harsh sounding. The spectral gate switch makes a big difference aswell, not to mention all the different expression modes.

Have never tried a pitchfactor, but the youtube clips make it look pretty awesome aswell.

12. MrThunderfoot

MrThunderfoot

Apr 18, 2012
    for what I use the pitchfactor for I could definitely get away with swapping it out for a hog. I'm still experimenting with it and I'd be kicking myself for it later if I let it go

13. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    The pitch factor is a beast and I've tried one and spent some good time with it. Amazing but trust once you go HOG the rest are lost in the FOG (lame!) but the Whammy is a pretty powerful beast as well but all 3 offer pros and cons...

14. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    hey fabe... have you got the Roland exp pedal for your hog? I need to replace my stock one with something else... i was guna go Boss (same housing as my Vol pedal) but for some reason I cant imagine using something that massive for an exp pedal. Has the roland got a nice action? is it adjustable like the Boss?

*sorry a little off-topic*

Here's something on-topic - there is a video on youtube of a guitarist comparing the pitchfactor and hog that i found pretty helpful even though its not on bass. Also a POG2 could be another/cheaper option.