Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slimjazz, Jul 19, 2005.

1. slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    I was thinkin on gettin a fulltone bass driver for overdrive/distortion because of the quality and its true bypass. I'm not sure if I'm wiling to spend 200 bucks on it just yet though.
    I've been hearing some good things about the digitech x series bass overdrive/distortion. its a lot cheaper. my biggest thing for an overdrive and distortion is that it doesnt lose the bottom end a lil warmth won't hurt either. any thoughts on the digitech?
  2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    My opinion ? It sucks. Badly.

But I'm not a Digitech lover, except the Bass synth wah I don't like them all.
    To be more constructive : on the website there are soundclips. They are close to the real sound, in my opinion. I really don't like those sounds.

If you want a cheaper overdrive than the fulltone, check out the Sparkle Drive, the MXR Zakk Wylde. I even prefer the Boss ODB-3 to this Digitech.
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have it and I like it. I auditioned the Boss ODB3 also but it didn't have the sound I wanted. I was after a sort of midrangey sound. The Boss I thought was too bright. And the DT added just enough harmonics, grind and warmth for my taste.Both take a little bit of low end out but you can EQ it back. The Boss even a 2 band EQ built in.

I reviewed it in the Distortion Mega thread.
  4. Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    The Bass Driver IMO is a poor pedal. It sounds nothing like the sound clips on the website. It very noisy and eats batteries. In its defence it is well made and there are a wide range of (noisy) tones to get out of it.

I would get the Fulltone Bass Driver instead, you wont regret it!
  5. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    here's my 2 cents ..

boss ds-1 + boss odb-3
  6. Any pedal with no true bypass will eat tone.If you are playing with an active bass then the tone will be maintained greatly. This has some very nifty settings with versatility. Hell it has fuzz! I currently use the fuzz setting with my MXR M-80 distortion and it just tears some heads off! Good luck with looking for a good distortion pedal, and remember... "Listen with your ears, not your eyes" meaning don't just take ones opinion as golden. Test the pedals out with the same amp and bass to see which one you like better.
  7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I like my XBD, but I kind of agree, it is noisy. And I only use a Muff-like setting, so I'm gonna sell it off at the shop and get a Russian Muff.
  8. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I went through a bunch of distortion pedals looking for one that didn't suck all of my low end out & still sounded warm.
    Hated the ODB-3 - too industrial sounding.

I rarely pay more than $100 for a pedal, but the $199 for the Fulltone Bassdrive was totally worth it.