Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech X-series

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm interested in some the pedals but i wonder, they aren't true bypass i read after a quick search here on the forum but should i except getting noise, are they noisy pedals? The Squeeze compressor and chorus pedal is the ones im interested in

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

True bypass isn't a very common feature on 70 $ pedals.
    They're not really noisy.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have the Delay, the Driver and the Synth Wah. They're quiet and work well with my Boss and MXR pedals.

frohner151 likes this.
  4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i just bought the synth wah and chorus- not sure if i will keep the chrous or trade for a boss bass chorus- the digitech seems to add hi end when the chorus is engaged-
    the synth wah i really like- granted there are only a couple of sounds that are really usable live, but it tracks well and keeps your bottom happening. And the price is right. Love the Octave Envelope.

Funny, in bypass, they do not seem to color the tone at all, i will do a close comparison and report back, but they sound true bypass to me- i'll check it out.

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have the synth wah also. I was a bit hesitant about picking up DigiTech gear after owning some iffy DigiTech stuff in the late '80s-early '90s, but this is a solid little pedal. Not true bypass, but doesn't seem to effect my tone adversely. Word is they are battery hogs, but I power mine with an AC adapter. Hell, it even models a 4x10 cab for recording if you choose!

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yeah. The X Series pedals have clean circuitry that doesn't degrade tone. They are built solid, too. I used to have all of the bass specific pedals in the X Series line, but I downsized my pedalboard and only kept the chorus. It sounds clean and has a hi-fi edge. In fact, I like this chorus more than many analog units I have tried. Most chorus pedals sound very "80's" to me. This is the most "modern" sounding one I have found. Hope this helps.

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    They don't add any noise to my chain at all. True Bypass is overrated in my opinion.

Some of their pedals are the best for the money, IMO. Their Bass Synth Wah is incredible. I haven't tried some of them for a while, but I was never incredibly impressed by their other pedals. Probably still top-notch for the money. For the money.

-Eric.

8. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    the digidelay has some really nice features on it, though it doesnt feel as solid as a boss pedal to me

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I love their delay. I use it for my mutilated versions of Police and Thieves, Should I Stay or Should I Go? and Sympathy for the Devil. The setting I use is not possible with the similarly priced Boss DD3.

FWIW, the Digitech units are heavier than both my Boss units. So while the Boss maybe built like a tank, the Digitech feels like two tanks.

I did notice that Boss pedals require less force to actuate than Digitechs. I guess I can be of two minds about this. On one hand I know that I turned it on/off. OTOH, if I don't hit it squarely, I'm in for a little surprise.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not true bypass but have a very nice bypass circuit.

Personally, I don't like them, except the BSW, but the one usable tone for me isn't worth the price. They're fairly well built, and they're reliable, I'm just not a huge fan of the sounds.

11. They've no grounds to BOSS baby. Seriously though, way too digital sounding for my liking.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the BSW is cool - i used the effect on a gig this afternoon and it worked nicely- i like that it tracks clean- settings 2 and 7 are the only ones i can see using and it's a matter of mixing it in just right and keping most the the dry bass in there. I can see having 2 set to the 2 sounds i really like because even then , it is hundreds less than say a GT6-B , which is not blowing me away at all- the synth on that is pretty crappy- the octave on the Digitech is cleaner than the BOSS- about the only thing i want to check out is if the Boss Bass Chorus sounds better than the Digitech-
    i had an Akai Deep Impact, and though it was very cool, i could not really use it live- for $70, the BSW is a pretty cool pedal. Heck , I have a V Bass sitting around here- i just hate putting that big ugly pup on a bass. And its nice to be able to plug any bass into the pedals, which i use sparingly- some Chorus for texture here and there and the funk stuff for when things get going- :bassist:

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have the Boss Chorus. It's a good pedal. But like most modulation effects, it's best when applied sparingly. I always have it on and only use it to "open up" my sound. I don't like it when the rate knob goes past 1:00. I think the best part of that pedal is the ability to apply the effect throughout the entire freq band or the highs only. Anyway, for my uses, it's good. It cannot duplicate the deeper chorus of the multi voiced DT unit though. So if that's what you're after then maybe the DT is better.

Anyhoo, back to DT. The Octave does follow real well. The Env Filter responds great to picking dynamics also.