digitech xbw bass synth wah question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by volumefiend, Feb 22, 2003.

1. i just got one of these yesterday, and i hooked it up. awesome effects. my only question is, that when i engage the pedal, it seems to turn the gain down quite a bit, and it is not nearly as loud as when it is not engaged. i replaced the battery with a fresh 9v. is this normal or what? i dont suppose that it is THAT much of a problem, but there is definately a noticeable loss of volume.

2. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I've read that some of the first ones made had volume issues. If you contact Digitech they'll let you send it to them and reprogram it how you want. I've heard they're really good about it, too. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  3. alright cool. ill contact them by email.
  4. Try it with an adapter as well, these things suck juice. Mine is loud as heck, I have to use the blend to bring the volume down. How about that octave-below setting though,eh? Tracks down to my B!!
  5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    wth, is that to say this could be a better octaver than the octabass... even if you just used that feature? whoa!
  6. Yeah, I've said that B4. I actually traded my EBS in FOR the Digitech solely for this reason. It has a richer tone than the old Boss OC-2 and DEFINITELY sounds better than that OctaBass. Oh yeah, it also TRACKS DOWN TO MY B-STRING. No s**t?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, I'll second the octave quality. I sold my Octabass after getting the XBW. Granted, you lose the flexibility of the three switch settings on the Octabass but I didn't use them anyway so it was moot for me.

It does make it trickier if you want to get an octave only sound, maybe I'm dense but I haven't figured how to get octave only sound without moving output plug to the 'effect only' out.

But I added these things up and looked at it as a better octave tracker than the octabass at half the price, with the added bonus of it also having a pretty good synth patch.
  8. huh? i have no idea what this thing does besides make cool noises:confused:

i have my 4 string tuned to b.

what should i do with this? whats octave tracking?!

tell me!
  9. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That's really good to know... dam, I guess I'll have to off my octabass for one too... too good to pass up I guess. Unfortunate, as I rather like the octabass for everything but low tracking...
  10. what does this thing DO??? should i keep it in when im playing even when im not using the syth effects?
  11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Turn the type knob to the last setting (7). It does a filterish sound with an octave below the note you're playing on the bass. Turn the second to last on the right knob all the way counter clockwise, that turns off the swish sound. The second knob from the left affects the level of the sub-octave sound. Try playing some notes higher up the neck and you'll hear the octave beneath in addition as you play.

That's octave tracking. You can buy dedicated pedals for this, like the EBS octabass, MXR M88, Boss OC=2. Some have bad tracking but a good sound, and vice versa. The XBW is marketed as a synth bass pedal, which it does very well for $80. But the octave tracking feature on it is better than any dedicated octave pedal I've ever heard.
  12. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Wow, i just got that pedal last wednesday.. bday gift. But anyway it does have a nice octave feature i never even thought about it.... do you guys have any cool settings you figured out for it?
  13. My favs are #7 with the "synthy" bit turned off for rich and (virtually) flawless octave tracking and #2 for that classic octaver B4 EV filter tone. Ironic that I don't use any of those "synth" settings...I guess they are ok but the octaver is what folks want this box for. I compared it side by side, with my Boss and my EBS and was very surprised. The #1 regular EV filter is just ok but you have to blend a bit of the clean signal to keep your sound fat.
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Damn you all and your paycheck destroying threads!!!! :mad: :mad: :spit: ;)

It cost me money every time I look in this forum.
  15. cool. i like mine. it does its job nicely for the price.
  16. I got one as well.

My only beef is that mode 1 doesn't seem to go low enough.

I played on a DOD fx 25 once, and the low pass filter would go really deep and give dub-earthquake tones.... wheres mode 1 on the digitech, it never seems to 'close' far enough, even with range and sensitivity turned right down - stays in upper bass rather than doing a 40hz low pass.

It is a power guzzler as well. I'd be cautious about buying any other other pedals in the range if they gobble juice like this thing.
  17. Yeah, a bit of an oversight IMO. Not great for dub, sorry.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    How is the Wah on this bad boy, the synth stuff drew me in, the octave has me stuck, the wah could make it a must buy...