Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

digitech xbw bass synth wah VS ehx bassballs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pools, Nov 26, 2004.

1. digitech xbw bass synth wah

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. ehx bassballs

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. pools

pools

Feb 28, 2004
    i want to buy and start using effects...... just to have some users opinion to make up my mind:
    which do you prefer ?
    and why?
    :p

2. I'd say Digitech as an octaver-synth & EH Q-tron as envelope

3. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    the digitech seems to have the best octave tracking but i prefer the ibanez SB7 as an auto-wah-synth all analog like the bassballs which works very well with OD and fuzz and have two dynamic filters. i just have a question about the bassballs, on the notice they talk about an AC/AC adaptor. Can someone confirm that the bassballs needs an AC/AC adaptor and not an AC/DC adaptor like most of the pedals ?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it's an apples / oranges comparison.

Bassballs is cool, but a bit of one trick pony. The Digitech BSW is a great octaver plus some basic envelope / synth stuff. I think of it as an octaver with extras.

5. hervetlse

hervetlse

Jan 25, 2002
    france toulouse
    you're right David. i've got the bassballs. Can you confirm that it needs an AC/AC adapter and not an AC/DC 'one ? I'm so happy with it , i don't want to make a mistake or burn it. As octaver which one do you prefer? Ebs, boss danelectro dihgitech...? thank you for your reply.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sorry, can't remember - it was a while ago
    I've tried boss, ebs, maxon, dod and digitech.
    I have an old dod octoplus from early 90's, it's a great octaver. It's a bit beat up these days, so I mostly use the digitech. IMO it tracks better than any other dedicated octave pedal out there.

7. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Even better than the EBS Octabass?

8. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    As an envelope filter, the Digitech is okay, but not quite over the edge enuff for me.... so I ordered a Q-Tron today. I'll still use the Digitech for other stuff.... synth and maybe as an octaver (any settings that work better than others?). I tried a Bassballs last night, and it didn't really do anything, as far as I could tell. Very light enveloping (if that's a word!).

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i own and use a digitech bsw, and its a great octaver, but if you're looking for a filter/synth i think that its probably worth it to check out the ibanez and other units first because i personally find the envelope filter and synth sound decent but get lost in real situations, doesnt sound bad, just sort of not present

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I just traded for one (thanks mo-phat) and it does track well, however I find the generated tone is quite noisy and the volume goes way up when it's on, using either a battery or AC adapter. Did you find this also?

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    nope, I didn't find that. You can change the volume of the sub-octave note generated, you should do so to keep the dry/web volumes similar. You are doing that right?

12. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    If I was doing it right I wouldn't be asking :bag:

Seriously though I have sens and range all the way off, type is set to 7 and the control knob adds the octave. The more octave I add the louder it gets. Oddly I get the same signal no matter which output I use. Do you use a stereo out of some kind?

Thanks

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, I use regular out. Sounds like you might have a problem unit.

14. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Bummer :(

Thanks for the help.