Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GSRLessard14, Jan 31, 2006.

1. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Hey folks.

So I want some effects to play with. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a huge board because I don't gig very often, but I'd like a good variety of sounds to mess around with. I was looking at the Digitech bp-50 and it looks really sweet, and it's less than a hundred bucks. Anybody have any reviews on it or any alternatives for around the same price?

Thanks all.

2. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'm not sure if this will help. I had a Digitech BP200. It had quite a few interesting effects. It was a somewhat of a hassle to program (at leasat for me) and it had a LOT of hiss. Enough that there was no way for me to use it for performance or recording. So... I sold it.

3. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    IMO, I try to make the best investment and I try not to settle for something cheap unless I get it for REALLY cheap (like my ME-50B). I try and go for high sound quality, because even when we play live, we try and do our best to make our tone amazing. I guess it's different if you're in a metal or punk band and tone really won't be heard that much...but in a easy-going, spacey groove environment like the one I play in, I don't want any hiss, I want transparency, and I want tone that will make at least half the audience climax.

It's a matter of choice, still. If you're on a tighter budget, and perfect tone isn't as important to you as the actual possession of a distortion because you need it for a few songs, then go right ahead. Otherwise, I'd save for a better day.

4. I'd personally avoid all low priced multi effects units (atleast from Diitech). I had the BP200 for about 4 months and used it all the time. But when it came down to it, single effects are just for me. There was a pause (a long one too) when swirthing between presets, not all of the effects sounded great, mostly bad (especially the whammy and wah) and overall it just wasnt worth the $166 +change (tax included) I paid for it.

5. RyansDad

RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I would forgo the BP50. I have a bp200 and it has a few more effects (most of which I never use). It's easier to adjust the parameters on the fly than the bp 50 or bp 80. Also, I got mine used for $85.

I would nix the bp50 anyway, for one reason: no volume pedal. That is a cool thing to have at times. It can give you more dynamic control on your attack and in fade-outs on stage. It also saves the trouble of hitting the mute button/power switch when you're done with a set or switching basses.

6. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    alrighty then!

7. hey, might be a bit late but I thought I'd have my say. I personally had a really bad experience with the BP50. Being the noob that I was at the time, I took one look at the spec of the digitech BP50 and ordered it straight off the net. Big mistake. The sounds on it are terrible. I would definitely avoid going for low cost pedals, because the sounds are very cheap and processed. Even as an amature bass player a few years ago, the BP50 still disapointed me and I would definitely warn anyone against it. Maybe it's just my own personal opinion. Some people may like it. If your after particular effects then check out the digitech stomp boxes which are good quality.

8. personally the only time i would recommend a low cost multieffect processor is when someone wants to get into effects, but doesn't know what kind they want...the BP50 and 200 are ok processors, but i think they excel at helping effect newbies decide where they want to go with effects, then they could either go towards higher cost effect units (Lexicon, ART, TC Electronics, or even eventide) or single effect units...

9. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Its very hissy