Dilema OLP or SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sqeejo12000, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Musicman SUB

46 vote(s)
  2. OLP with a EMG pup changeout.

5 vote(s)
  1. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Okay so heres the deal I want a bass with a MM style Humbucker. My question is My budget will allow for the OLP MM2 with a Pup change to an EMG and a new tone pot. OR I can get the the Musicman SUB. Both will end up setting me back some and both have disadvantages. The Olp even with the new PUP is still not a Musicman and I worry about the tone and the construction. The SUB is still no stingray and I hate the finishes. I need some opinions here and if anyone has an OLP let me know what you think about it and how it plays and sounds.
  2. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    SUB. The SUB sounds a lot like a Stingray with a good amp and some fiddling. I love my SUB. I personally loved its finish...

SUB, imo. That's what I voted.
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    SUB, they are built like a MM, OLP is an Officially Licensed Product and IMO are not built as well. I had a SUB Sterling and it was fine. I used it till I could afford Warwick.
  4. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    If you can afford a SUB, then you can afford a bass from "The Bass company" I think the single M bass starts around $350, and the workmanship is supposed to be very good. If you don't like the pup, you can drop in a nordstrand. It will give you a lot closer to a classic MM sound than a EMG
  5. wow some dilema.... if you get the olp i'll be disapointed.
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    SUB hands down. There isn't even a contest here.
  7. Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    well i played some OLPs in stores for a few minutes and I think they are a good bang for the buck

but I don't know about the SUBs
  8. I guess if you want an OLP you could buy the Tony Levin model, but that color! Ewwww.....I've played both and the SUB is way more Stingraylike. Don't like the metal pickguard but that's easily fixed. Yes....I'm sure of it now.......SUB allaway bro.......
  9. Buy the SUB! if you dont like the tone, you can always change out the preamp later. I own an OLP, I love it... I just put a new set of dr black beauties on it, the bass rips. It sounds way better than when I had my pro steels on it. :eyebrow:

I would have got SUB hands down if I would have had the money for it. First thing I would do is take those slinkys off of them and get a good setup on it and fresh battery in it. Then you can go by what kind of sound you would really be getting out of the bass. If your into a 5, I would play on a couple of those. I liked those better than the 4 and I dont like to play on fives that much.

Just my 2 cents, but if you have the cash buy the SUB, and besides if you buy the cheaper bass and dump more money into it... dont expect to get your money back out of it at all. The SUB would have a lot better resale vaule all the way around.

Anyone agree/disagree... huh, huh? :hyper:
  10. It's a no brainer, he SUB is definitely the way to go.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Poll speaks for itself.
  12. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Yeah the poll really does speak for itself. Well I had my mind set on something from MM, but if the OLP could come close to it for cheaper. But it seems that the public has spoken. SUB to the rescue it is! Thanks for all the input guys!
  13. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well need I say more when the people hath spoken; SUB!!! And keep in mind, when you pop in the EMG and new pots in that OLP axe, for a few bucks more you could get the SUB anyway and of course there's always used ones popping up on eBay. For a backup or for a kid starting out, the OLP is fine if you pick the right one (they tend to be inconsistent) but if yr a bit further along as a musician, wait a little longer if need be and buy a SUB. Its may not be a full on SR or Sterling but they are solid, reliable instruments that really are Music Man axes, not a cheap knock off.

14. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I guess the question is, are you willing to spend more for a SUB. If that answer is yes, the choice is easy... a SUB.