Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dilema....Warwick Vette 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by primus_55, Jul 8, 2005.

1. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Hi all,

im looking at buying a warwick corvette 6, but the weight is really concerning me. :( Frank Martin, and other other wick 6 owners, is the bubinga vette 6 that heavy? can the weight be controlled? how do you find gigging it?

I will probably buy this if the weight isnt that bad. I have played one before and loved it, but that was sitting down and not for long.

Im after something with growly tone.

If i choose otherwise, im looking at lakland skyline 55-02 deluxes, owners of these, how do you like this bass? whats the pups/pre like?

Im also looking at MM Bongo, and maybe 5 string warwicks.

My price limit is probably $2700 AUD, and i either want a 5 or a 6 string, it doesnt bother me, but, preferabley i would like a 6. :bassist:

Thanks, in advance. :)

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i don't understand why weight is as big an issue as it is. Don't worry mate, just get the bass if you like it and buy a nice wide leather strap. You'll get used to the weight in no time.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well since I have oestoroporosis (that is, lower density/weaker bones) and a bad back, I'm building a bass that is lighter. However, it's not that heavy. 4.2 kgs - about 10 lbs. There are many basses out there that are heavier. I can take many-hour (up to 4-5 hours without taking it off) sessions with it, but I need to train my back and trapezeus more to do that regularly ;)
    The tone however... maybe I'm building a new bass, but the tone I'm aiming for is pretty much like the Corvette's tone, but a bit tailored for my preferences. Many other basses I've played sounded dead and hollow compared to my Corvette - even if I rarely change the strings, these have been on for almost half a year now.. or maybe even more :smug:

If you think you can handle the weight, and do not suffer from any similar things like me, and you can also get used to the neck getting thicker and squareish up the neck, beyond the 12th-15th fret, then go for it! But definately try before you buy!!

If you don't mind 5 strings, then have you considered the DoubleBuck? If I were not building a bass, I'd have though hard about restringing a $$ to E-C... Lighter swamp ash body, two switchable humbuckers... I still have some GAS for one even now, but I know I can't get it for some time... and I'm sticking to 6 strings

As for the others you listed, I have no firsthand experience with them, so I can't comment.

4. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Thanks for that :)

Yeah, ive looked into the double buck. Im not sure though, i think the MM bongo is a lot better, having said that it $1000 dearer.

My problem is, im only 15, im just wondering whether i might develop problems when im older if i use this bass a lot?

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah I had a feeling the Bongo would be more. I'm just surprised it's just $1000 more. If they were available here, I think the price difference would be at least US$2000.

As for the problems, I wouldn't worry that much about them. Most probably you won't play them 24/7, and you can also sit down to play, and not straining your back.
    BTW, What did you think of specifically? Back-related of hand-related (like CTS)?

6. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    I was thinking back/shoulder related.

I have no touble with the size, just the weight that bothers me.

Im from australia, so the $1000 might be different from what you're thinking!

Also, whats the slap-ability like on the vette 6?

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I know you're from Australia, but $1000 is still some money even there, right? ;)

The spacing is 16,5 mm, with a little room to adjust. It is a bit tight, but you can get used to it.

If you have a healthy back, then you shouldn't worry that much. Remember, there are even heavier basses out there. Not to mention some people who earn money by hauling heavy stuff. ;)
    I started doing exercises back then when I got it, but lazy as I was, I stopped sometime later. About two months ago I started exercises again. Before that I could barely lift my cab. Now I could carry my cab and head, and I get less tired with my bass and now that I think of it, my trapezeus didn't hurt last time... it looks like it's working, after all! :hyper:

8. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Yep, its a lot of money here. Really, its going to come down to financials, but im preparing for whatever that comes.

Great, thank you Frank ;) Thats what i needed to know.

Its back on the list :)

Bad thing for my parents :rolleyes:

Also, one last one. What is your schroeder like with warwick? I will be looking at buying one of these possibly after i purchase my new bass.

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nice. Wasn't too impressive in my room, but at rehearsal, even at low volume the growl cut through like nobody's business. I lost some highs, though, but just because I didn't eq it in... and because the drummer was right next to me and he was a bit too loud :rolleyes: They told me to turn down, but it was no use telling him to play with a bit less force...

If I were you, I'd give the $$ another thought, though. If you find it, be sure to check it out.

Oh and as always, check out the used market if you want to save money. Though 6s are a bit rare, but you just might have luck and find one. Most of them I've seen have been kept in good condition.

Good luck with your hunt!

10. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Thanks again, i will be definantly giving the double buck a look as soon as i can get to the bass centre in melbourne.

11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    15? A good time to start working out. Take care of that back and shoulders, and this probably won't be an issue. And......you'll be much happier in the long run anyways.

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1...
    You don't need really intense workout, but just a few minutes morning exercises and some more afternoon will make a difference. Once you get used to it and it becomes part of your routine, it won't be as bad.
    I've restarted exercises about a month and a half ago, and as I said, I can already feel a bit of a difference.

Also, my bass guru said that if you can't do 20 pushups, your arms are not strong enough to slap well.

13. I just picked up a '98 Corvette Standard 6 off of EBay last week. It's one of the ones with a Wenge neck and SD Basslines pickups.

I thought the weight would be an issue, but it simply isn't. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. If you are in good physical shape and use a wide 3" strap, it won't even feel heavy to you.

As far as the tone goes, it's got a sweet, organic tone and almost sounds like it is alive at times. This is a quality I've found in Warwicks before, it's probably due to the exotic woods used in its construction. The bass is capable of some extreme growl when called for, but it is also willing to be more laid back, it is all in how you attack the string. It will sing or scream when you ask it to, it's all up to you.

So far, the only negatives I've found is the upper fret access isn't as good as it was on my old Cort Curbow 6, and adjusting the bridge seems tricky, since it's a 3D bridge (you can change string spacing, intonation, and action.)

I say go for it.

14. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    You all have definantly made me not worry so much about the weight now.

All it comes down to is the stupid money :(

Keep the help coming!

15. I had a 'Vette 6- heaviest bass I ever played, but it balanced very well & sounded SWEET. I hesitatingly dumped it over the slightly-too-narrow-for-my-sloppy-technique string spacing. You're 15? Get the bass. Strapping it on & off will be a nice little workpot in itself. ;)

16. hey man im a bassist in melbourne as well. Not sure if Bass Centre has a double buck yet. If you PM me, I can tell you the shop where Warwicks Rep works, I'm sure he can get one in for you. I just got a Swamp Ash version of the Corvette 5, love it and much lighter and cheaper than the Bubinga one, and according to a few people, they prefer it

17. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Yeah, but sadly the 6 doesn't come in ash. Id prefer a 6er, if i could go it.

My last resort, if i cannot afford over $2000 will be the double buck, or the ash 5 string vette.

I added you to MSN, we can talk about it there!