Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dilemma: 4 vs 5 for both frets and nofrets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jammadave, Oct 16, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Okay, so I'm all excited about my new bass, and it's fun and all, but then the bug hits my brain: maybe you shoulda got a 5 string.

All in all, I want a fretted and a fretless, with the same number of strings. The fretless will either be a BG or an EUB, I haven't decided yet. But I want to keep the same string # just because I like the consistency.

That said, should I get both 4s or both 5s? and why? I can get the exact same Schecter in a 5 (trade in and wait for it to ship), and many fretlesses come in 5.

What do you guys think should be the determining factor, considering i dont have any kind of formal "gig" at the moment on bass, and would like to get into weird experimental stuff?

Thanks and my apologies for all the questions - I feel like a newbie all over again even tho i've played bass off and on for many years. I'm also going to go play a couple 5s before making any decisions to check how it feels to me.

:meh:

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Weird experimental stuff - ever considered a 6 ? I have one and i will never go back to less (well, maybe there will be exceptions, but not likely) :D :p

Anyway, do check some 5s to know how they feel and sound; be warned: some B strings on some basses are very floppy, and that EUBs are a totally different world

So, pros for 5:
    - more notes and the "thumpiness" of a B-strings higher frets
    - more options (where and how to go from a note)
    - tighter string spacing - yet this can be very bad for slap, unless you get a broadneck model

For the 4:
    - you are already used to it
    - wider string spacing

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Actually, I've owned one or two sub-par 5's over the years, and last winter bought a 6 during the buig Mars closeout (it was gorgeous and sounded awesome, but I just can't play 6. I tried tho...)

I just dont wanna have two real nice 4's and then have to go out and trade them in for real nice 5's =0)