Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dilemma: buy fretless or another fretted?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Sep 18, 2000.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I've been playing bass for just under a year now and I want to get a better bass than the Ibanez GSR 200 w/ EMGS that I have now. I was wondering if buying a fretless bass would be a good idea, it particular a Warwick Corvette Standard. I played one at Guitar Center and something just clicked, it felt really good to play. Would having a cheap-o fretted and a good fretless be a bad idea? I haven't really found a fretted that I really connected with yet, if you know what I mean... Give me your thoughts

Thanks,
    David

2. Unless you're 99% sure you want to make fretless your main axe, I'd go the other way. Get a good fretted and a cheapo fretless. That way, you can make sure fretless is the way you want to go. As opposed to buying an expensive fretless and deciding it's not for you.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I agree. You have to be sure that the fretless bass you buy won't make you wish it was fretted. I did that with a music man stingray. I traded it for a fretted one and lost a lot of money in the process.

Of course, I'm debating this same issue over a Conklin GT-7.