Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dilemma: Eden Vs: SWR (Stay SWR or Go Eden?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mz91, Mar 14, 2003.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I have been spending major cash on all the new Bass stuff i have bought over the last 3 months. I bought a used SWR SM400 head and two Triads a while ago. And just last week i finally got the Modulus Quantum 6 that i got through ebay. And now, i have come into contact with someone that wants to sell a Eden WT-800 to me for 940 Euro. I searched the forums and found mixed opinions, i for one always that that Eden was the best thing you could buy regarding amps and cabs. Munji likes em! But then as i continued the search i came to see that the WT-800 isnt as loved as the WT-400 for example. I am really not sure what i should do? I love to play any type of music. i love the motown sound all the way to the chili peppers. and the SWR can deliver weather i am playing chilled motown stuff. or when im slapping to a peppers song. What i want to know is what you would do. The SWR SM 400 which is really old and not that powerful or the Eden WT-800. The Head will most likely be together with a SWR Triad and later another 2*10 although i dont know from what company that will be from. Any opinions are really appreciated. thanks :bassist:

2. I had two SM400s, and could'nt get either of them to sound good. Now I have a WT400, and its heaven! I've played a WT800, and it's the same thing, but with BIG balls! Nothing wrong with SWR cabs, I have two and they sound wonderful with the Eden. I used to spend all my time trying to EQ the SM400s, now the Eden is set dead flat, no EQ at all!

3. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    No Dilemma!!!!!!EDEN!!!!!!
    You'll getall the power and any sound you need out of it,trust me;)
    SWR is monophonic:oops:nly 1 sound,expecially sm 400.And then there's alwys a lack of attack when you play fingerstyle.
    I sold it for a WT 500;now I own a Navigator pre+wt1000 power amp.
    For the cab I suggest you or an EBS,or a Markbass 4x10

4. I'm not sure why people put so much stock in what Munji says - no offense to him. You say the SWR can deliver, and I bet you're comfortable with it by now. You ask what I would do.....I'd forget about acquiring new gear for the moment, as it sounds like you have a decent set-up. GAS is neverending and gets silly after a certain point. Kill the GAS and be content with the great gear you currently own........my .02......

Mark

5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Make the change....I did.

Although I still love my Goliath III.

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Try before you buy!!! I love my SWR GP - I set it completely flat apart from just a touch of aural enhance. I AB'd it with an Eden Navigator and couldn't get that to sound how I wanted without endless fiddling. So, it's not whether one's better than the other, it's whether you prefer one to the other.

Alex

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    every eden head i've played has been a far cry from 'set flat and forget it'. i've only once been able to get a decent sound from anything bearing an eden logo.

i've used SWR exclusively for 4 years, and don't plan on changing my rig for a long time. with my IOD, and with my old bass 350, i never had it set other than flat with a smidge of bass boost and always had a tone i was happy with.

but it does work both ways. i'm used to my bass through an swr rig, so when i'm trying other heads i listen initially to how it sounds by itself, but within minutes i'm fiddling to get it to sound like an SWR. so maybe my opinion isn't that valid :D

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    WWMD? - What Would Munji Do?

If you feel like you need more power, go for it. If not, the SM-400 is a great, nay, classic amp. It would be hard to go wrong with either one. If you can't get a nice sound out of either of these amps, the problem, IMO, is with the operator, not the amp! ;)

It all comes down to personal taste, and whether or not you need the extra power. Personally, I need more than 400 watts. I'm an SWR whore, though, so I'd take the SM-900. That's just me. :)

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Running an SM-400 into two triads is a sure way to be unimpressed with its power as they are pretty inefficient cabs.

If you are getting a tone you like out of it, which you say you do, take the time you are spending looking for new gear and play your bass instead. Trust me, it'll have a greater impact on how you sound than any new amp you get.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

great sounding, but SERIOUSLY inefficient.

11. Love the SWR cabs, but the triads are inefficient, at about 98db i think, but they still sound great! You will need a little more than four times the power to compete with say The SWR Goliath Jr. 2x10 at 105 db. Unless speaker surface area comes into play, then maybe 4x the power.

I still prefer SWR cabs though, but I'm not so sure about SWR heads VS. eden heads. I think I like Eden heads, but haven't really tried a good SWR head, only the workingman stuff.

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    If you like the SWR sound and just need more power, you can always get a power amp and use the SWR as a pre by running out of the effects loop into the power amp. I am considering doing that with my SWR SM500.

-KB

13. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    thanks for all the replies....i am really happy with the sound i get out of it....but yes, like everyone says the triads are underpowered by the sm 400. i am guessing that i will get a poweramp soon (when i can afford one). and hopefully i get a good deal on a 2*10 cab. Do you guys recommend using an SWR 2*10 or do you think that it doesnt matter what brand you use to couple with the sm 400? and is there a certain brand of power amp that couples well with swr or will any power amp do?

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say keep your money. if your SM400 and Triad setup sounds good, and keeps you nice in the mix with your band, then dont bother wasting your money.

you've got great gear. keep the dough and spend it on something REALLY worthwhile like lessons, instructional books, or videos.

if your equipment isnt cutting your sound thru, or you dont have enough power, come back, and we'll steer you in the right place.

15. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'd probably go with the Eden head, but I just prefer Eden's sound to SWR's -- also the power issue is a factor.

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    totally with jason here. i cant get my sound out of an eden head if i tried. you can always ass mud but you cant get it out if it's the nature of the amp. keep the 400.

17. Man you are having a major GAS attack. When it comes to gear, I always end up playing what serves my playing situation the best. I went through a major GAS attack this winter as well. I must have spend 4 grand on bass equipment and 3/4th of it is sitting around doing nothing. I'm playing my old Hartke 4.5 and the new Triad is setting in the shed, not because the Hartke sounds all that much better but because it suits my playing situation better. To be honest, it fits in the back of my pickup with all the other equipment much better than the Triad in its road case. I know it is all too stupid, but, my point is (what is my point? oh yeh!) Either amp will probably work just fine. I personally like using a pre-amp/power-amp setup the best. (F1X-PLX1202) try (although I know it's hard) to stop obsessing about bass gear.

18. Same here. Set everything at 12:00 and just play bass, no twiddling needed.

Regardless of how much I like my Eden, I’ll have to agree with Mr. McCombs. Play the SM and save your hard-earned cash for something you really need.
    ;)

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    we should have this stickied up top somewhere...

BEWARE OF GAS

;)