Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dilemma: Epifani to replace SWR cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mz91, May 4, 2003.

1. Keep the SWR Triads.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Buy the Epifani, bid adieu to the Triads.

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I am running two TRIADS on an SM 400. I got an offer from my freind to buy the Epifani 2*12 for $350 (in Europe) :D . If i bought it i would probably be selling the Triads. What i wanted to ask is if you thought this was good idea, if the Epifani could do all the Triads could or should i turn my head and stick with SWR? Any opinions are really appreciated! Thanks guys. :bassist:

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I would go with the Epifani. I´ve heard only great things about it. Also the Triads are really inefficient so the Epi will probably be equally loud. You will also have less to carry around.
    Why dont you try the cab out for yourself as you always should let your ears decide?

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I guess it would really depend on the volume you typically need for a gig. I'm not a huge fan of SWR Triads (I prefer 10's or 12's), but As good as the Epifani 2 x 12 would sound at low to moderate volumes, I don't think that it could keep up with 2 Triad cabinets. If it were 2 Epifani cab's I'd say go for it.;)

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I own an Epifani 310 and an SWR Triad which I bought later. I only use one cab at a time (The triad stays in L.A.). Even though I'm conditioned to the Epifani, I can't find anything to complain about on the SWR except that it weighs more.

I don't know about the 212, but in my experience, the triads are fine enough cabs. YMMV.

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I'd definitly go for the Epifani especially for that price. I have the 2x12. To me it was better in every way compared to the SWR 6x10.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I have had a Triad and now own a Epifani 2x12 - I would NEVER go back to the Triad. It is not a bad cabinet, just not in the same league (lots of changes in speakers in the last few years!).

I use the Epifani with a Glockenklang HeartCore head and it is AMAZING! Great warm, defined tone and a wonderful slap sound too!

No GAS here!

Dan K.

7. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Don't be ... Price is 1300$ new in Europe. If you don't like it you can always sell to me:hyper:

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That really is a stupid-low price on an Epi 2x12. I'd jump on it myself. Great price on an excellent cab.

Tom.

9. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I am going to test the cab with my SM 400 this saturday. I am really looking forward to it. The only thing i am worried about is the 2*12 not having enough "punch." And the combination of a Epifani 2*12 with a vintage amp like the SM 400 does seem a little weird to me. what do you all think? Has anyone tried a combination like this? Thanks. Mike ;)

10. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I don't think swr sounds vintage, both amp and cab are very hi-fi, you can't go wrong with this equipment

11. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Oh okay, then i guess i dont have anything to worry about...i just thought to myself that such an old amp wouldnt fit to a new cab. but i guess im just being paranoid...:D