Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dilemma.. i NEED suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pesticle, Sep 7, 2002.

1. i have written and done all the music for literally all of my bands songs, we have like 9 songs with all rhythms laid out on bass and i have written all of the lyrics.. and i sing them all too. i want to start gigging with the band really soon... we were supposed to start like 3 or 4 times but we cant ever get a song done because the guitarist wants everything to be more complex than it is and he constantly adds stuff to everything.. and we end up wasteing our practice time and i end up just getting confused about it all. i dont want to tell him that he has to do what i want for everything... but seriously its become impossible to finish a song. currently we have no songs done and 12 with all lyrics all rhythms in them but we just cannot get them done. maybe he needs everything to be perfect and a giant work of art before its done... but i just dont see what hes seeing. we are also very very close friends so i dont want to just get a new guitarist. how can i get him to see hes just making everything too complicated and that if he wants to ever make a song with all those bells and whistles and 10 riffs why cant he write it and ill gladly root note for him if thats what he wants.

2. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    If you can, record yourselves using his way, then your way. Have the rest of the band, and some friends, sit and listen to both versions. Sometimes outside opinions can help.

If you can record both versions, (yours and his), perhaps you could post them as mp3's for us and we can help.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Tell your guitarist to start writing his own songs. If it is your song, you get to decide on the arraingement. If he writes one, then he decides.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    hmmm... I've got lots of ideas. Not sure if any will help.

My all time favorite thing to do to get things moving is book a gig, ready or not. A gig 1 month down the line is excellent motivation to get stuff together. He would hopefully be forced into solidifying his parts.

If he's a good friend then I would sit down and have a serious conversation with him telling everything you said above, and adding something like: "Dude, we're wasting too much time. We need to do something differently. Come up with a part at home FOR WHAT I WROTE and commit to it, whether you like it or not. These are our first nine songs - hopefully we'll write hundreds and they'll get better and better. For now, just come up with something and we'll use it regardless."

Pound into his head that the complexity he's trying to add is destroying the songs and the creation process. To be a great artist you need to know when and where to put your ego at bay and be simple and supportive of somebody elses ideas.

Since you don't want to switch guitarists you can start another band or join another band - keep this one going too. Perhaps it will motivate him to get it a little more together.

If he smokes pot tell him to stop.

Try to concentrate on being as simple as absolutely possible, and let his little additions or changes evolve.

Ask him to concentrate more on the feel and emotion of the songs, than the notes and the parts. To concentrate on making a simple strummed G chord sing from the deepest parts of his liver like noone else in the history of guitar has ever done.

Buy one of those machine gun water pistols and squirt him everytime he tries to make a change.

Work on changing your attitude about replacing him if things continue to not work. - although sometimes I think the styles that clash the most can make the greatest music if they can learn to work together in peace.

Das how I'd handle it anyhow. Peace.