1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dilemma on which one to keep....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Santraginus, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Edit: It all boils down to one question - what, in your opinion, is more important (regarding practical use): Having a fiver, or having a P?

I'm committed to not keep more than three basses at a time.... One is on order, and consequentely, one has to go.

Not much of a problem. But I have

Sadowsky 5-Sting J
    Sadowsky 4 string P/J
    Yamaha 4-string fretless (self made epoxy fingerboard, and my first bass)

On order is a Sadowsky 4-string J.

So I am contemplating wether I'll let go the Sadowsky 5, and take the Hipshot Detuner route for lower notes.

The other option is to sell the P/J, and to rely on J's only.

Selling the fretless is the least attractive, since it has much emotional value to me...

And the 4-stringed Jazz on order is meant to stay, since I don't want to be without a 4-string Jazz......

So: Would you let go the fiver or the P/J 4?

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I would let go of that corny rule. Seriously!
    Unless you can't keep a roof over your head, keep them all.

3. Yep, some might consider it silly..... But since I am a rather mediocre player, I think that it would be better to concentrate on fewer instruments. It's also that I like the idea of having fewer things and using them more.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I tend to agree.
    +1

5. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Well which one to you use the least?

6. In my attempt to decide, I use both equally, to find out. But they're both really really good basses..... Nice problem, right?

7. This.

+If you could only have one, which bass would you keep?

8. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    If you absolutely need that low B, then sell the 4-string PJ. It has been said that you can get close enough to a P-bass tone with a Jazz bass.

9. robertusf

robertusf Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Chicagoland
    Keep the fiver

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Another vote for this. Self-imposed rules like the one cited are silly and meaningless, and you should be ready to change or abandon them whenever a good reason comes along.

11. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Sell them both and get a 5-string P/J. Win-win!

12. Why choose? Get a 5-string P and your problem is solved.

13. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Is that something about your Sadowsky 5 you don't like? Just my .02 but if youre comfortable playing a 5 string jazz, a 4 string of the same brand and model seems a little redundant unless its dramtically different sound wise. However, I do understand the GAS.

14. Thanks for your answer.

Nope, there's nothing I don't like about the Sadowsky 5. It's that old story of the feel of a 4-string. I like playing the 5, but I feel much more at home on the 4, the way it makes playing easier.

15. Actually, that is what I am contemplating about quite a lot... Thanks!

16. True, as far as I don't claim it to be a rule that I am bound to.

But not true as far as I think that to *me*, it makes sense to reduce the amount of things, objects, instruments around me to a number that I think is appropriate for: me.
    What better rule can exist than a self-imposed one?

Of course: IMHO, and by no means an offense against your opinion.

17. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    How often do you use the low B? I used to only want 5 strings but once I switcched back to 4s I realized I didn't miss the B at all.

Also, a Jazz can get you CLOSE to a P sound but nothing can do it besides a real P. The jazz sound can be reproduced much more easily, ESPECIALLY with a p/j set up. Just food for thought

18. Thanks again. I think I read this, in a sense, as one more argument towards: sell the P/J and the J 5, and get a P/J 5.....

19. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Yeah I'd go that route if you're willing to put in the extra effort haha