1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dilemma... Opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bordinco90, Oct 31, 2020.

1. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I own an Avatar B410 cab and Markbass Little Mark III. While I love the tone of the amp and cab, the Avatar is a pain to lug around (around 100 lbs) even with casters. I play in a rock band that plays loud. For reference I play with the LMIII gain and volume at noon with the EQ at a reverse smiley EQ if that makes sense (Bass and Treble turned to around 9 and the Mids at 1). Also I play with the VLE and VPF turned off and with a drop tuned P bass. I was thinking about selling this rig and getting a Rumble 500 combo. I've owned the Rumble 500 combo before and absolutely loved it, but I'm not sure how it will fare in a rock setting. Help!

2. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Any help would be appreciated.

3. Keep yr MB amp, get either a 212 or 410. Neo cab. I'd think you'd need at least one(or 2) of those cabs if yr in a loud band. I doubt a Rumble combo would handle it on its own.
    I hadda Rumble 500C.

4. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards. With the coronavirus here in the US all the bars are closed so no gigs. Who knows when we will get some gigs. My current setup keeps up nicely and sounds great, it's just so heavy.

5. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    GK MB212-ii combo is 500 watts and only 40 pounds. Get the matching powered extension for a total of 1,000 watts and 4 12's. You'll be heard and your back will thank you.

BAG, Jay2U, telecopy and 2 others like this.
  6. Since you're asking for opinions.. ;) by your description I can't understand how you would have liked the Rumble; apart from its weight which I agree is awesome light, but the sound... I tested one at the shop and found it very lacking in midrange, it was all deep lows.
    I agree if you are happy with your current head keep it and get a lighter cab. Though then again, I played two gigs with a CMDMarkbass, great power for the weight again! And cut through on stage really well, but I also thought it was maybe lacking midrange...

7. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I have to EQ my bass like that due to the downtuning (Drop D standard tuning). If I put the bass at noon on the amp it would blow the speakers. I absolutely loved the Rumble 500. I have the Rumble 100 and it sounds great as a practice amp.

obieito likes this.
  8. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah I'm operating on a budget. I don't doubt that the GK is an amazing combo, I'll probably have around $700 to play with if I sell my current rig.

9. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    You should be able to find the combo used for well under $700. Then save up for the extension...

10. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I may do that. GC has a 6 month return policy on my LM III that I bought in July. I could return the Markbass and sell the Avatar Cab.

kosmicwizard and biguglyman like this.
  11. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I'm also researching other combos, but I really like the sound of the rumble. I've never played the Ampeg 2x10 or GK 2x10 combos. The Acoustic B600 2x10 combo looks cool as well.

12. If I were you I'd just get a lighter cab. I went from a Goliath 410 to a Golight 410 and that worked out great. Those weren't made very long and are hard to find but there are other Neo options. One of the better quality 212's would probably even do fine but as always you'll need to try it yourself.

jnewmark likes this.
  13. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah I know that's the problem. Where I live the only brands that all local music stores (Mom and Pop stores as well as Guitar Center) carry is Fender Rumbles, Markbass, Peavey, and some GK. Not much to try out.

14. There's another thread going right now by a guy who's not happy with Rumble 500 combo in a loud setting. He's not alone so I'd probably avoid that. I saw your eq settings and while not radical it's impossible to know if you got there simply because that's your sound or if the cab is low end/treble heavy and mid shy. I suggest you take your head to the store and try it through some different cabs, just try what they have. They all sound so different that you'll really have to, or roll the dice. It can be tough.

15. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    How I started using those EQ settings was due to the Drop tuning of my bass. It still sounds nice and bassy, with the Bass EQ set lower. I just don't want to blow the speakers out. The EQ setting that I explained lets me cut through the mix of 2 guitars with 50 watt Mesa Tube heads and 2x12 cabs and a hard hitting drummer without blowing my speakers. I've played the amp through a Markbass 4x10 and I didn't care for the sound, so Markbass is out. Having owned the Rumble 500 before as well as the matching 2x10 extension cab. I can attest that it is really loud, but again I'm not sure how it would sound for rock. I played mainly country and blues on my previous Rumble setup.

David Jayne likes this.
  16. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    This is my current rig for reference. I just put brand new ceramic 10s from Avatar in the cab.

20200927_113728-jpg.jpg

17. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    If you like the sound of the Rumble, I’d say go with that. Contrary to what some of the naysayers tell you, it’ll work great in a loud rock setting, especially with the extra 210.

Another option would be to keep the head and get either a Rumble 410 cab or two Rumble 210s. You will get a significantly lighter rig, and much of the Rumble tone, even with the Markbass head.

18. Cool bass. Your EQ is really pretty mild so my guess is you could likely be fine with a smaller, 'super' cab but I can't promise that. People like the GK Neo 410 but that only saves you about 30lbs. Not huge, but not nothing either and they can be had used for around $400. But I think given that you're not pushing big low end you could be happy with a smaller cab.

19. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Thank you it's a Warmoth Parts bass. The EQ did change a bit from that picture. The lows were pushed down a little bit more to between 9 and 10 oclock and the high mids and treble were pushed up to around 2 oclock.

20. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Yeah that is another option to consider. When I owned my Rumble combo and extension cab, I did push it hard one gig and it shut off for a second then come back on. That kind of makes me a little nervous lol.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020