Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dilemma: practice bass vs performance bass vs commuting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Sell current bass and get Steinberger or Sinsonido which might damage wrists

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Get 2nd bass, play lesser guitar all week, play good guitar only on the night

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. Get 2nd bass, play better guitar all week, play shoddy one only on the night

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Keep current set-up and risk accident/injury and discomfort cycling with bass

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. I'm at a loss.

This is going to get long and complicated... sorry

I have to travel to rehearsal by bike, so can either leave bass where we rehearse or carry it on my back.

I've had bother with RSI and find a bigger body bass gives more support and enables me to adopt non-damaging hand positions.

I haven't decided whether it's best to do daily practice with the instrument I shall perform with, or weekly practice in the band format/volume/venue I shall perform in.

I'm going round and round with circles with this. The only sensible answer is to get identical basses, but I'm sure you appreciate that that isn't any fun for a GASser without much money.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    for years i had to commute via bike to rehearsals and gigs.

i always strapped my p-bass to my back and just rode the bike in.

3. I think you are better with one good bass than with 2 ordinary ones. Get it set up one a year to keep it in perfect shape and to play more easily.

In matters of injury, I see practicing on the instrument as exercising regularly. Maybe not every day, but surely more than once a week.

Maybe a good gigbag is the solution.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Get a Kases III gigbag... On rare occasions I have to ride my bike to a jam, and I just wear that much like a backpack, and off I go - I hardly notice it's even there.

Ray

5. Having tried the once to cycle with it (and "it" is a resonator bass, perhaps I should have mentioned...), due to the angle of my back and length of bass etc I was unable to lift my head enough to see ahead comfortably. And on that occasion the seat clamp bolt attaching the saddle to the seatpost snapped and I fell off messily, brusing a rib. Whether the extra weight of the bass contributed to my accident or not I don't know, but I'm sure that if it hadn't been a steel one it would be in several pieces now.

6. buddahbass

buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    call a taxi

take a bus

bum a ride

:)

7. If you've got pain, your body is telling you that you're doing something wrong. Take a look at your technique (preferably in a mirror) and eliminate anything that looks uncomfortable/awkward.

As for biking with a bass, I had no problems last year biking across town to my lessons with my bass on my back. One thing you could do is to get a bag that has really long backpack straps and lower it as far as you can without making the bag become tire fodder. If that doesn't work, I suggest getting a 2nd bass.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    It took a little while, but I have gotten used to my Steinberger and play it quite a bit. They are pretty good basses and travel very easy. Also they are priced very well.

Aside from helping you with practice, it would be a good backup bass too.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Think that's bad, be glad it ain't an upright :)

If you can't lift your head enough to see, lift your handlebars. It naturally pushes your head up.

10. You know, one of those odd-looking reclining-position things- then(assuming you can learn to ride w/no hands)you can practise(<---look, English spelling)on your way to practice.

Sorry, I'm a former mediocre cyclist & smart-arse- couldn't help myself. Steinberger-copies ain't so bad.

11. drivers

drivers

Dec 4, 2002
    Maybe you could get a trailer for your bike. There are a lot of different kinds.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Get a car. ;)

I say play the one that you're going to use for the rehearsals and gigs. No 2 basses play exactly the same. Even if they are the same model. You might find yourself making silly mistakes should you use one bass all week then break out a totally different one for a show.

If you use care while traveling, your bass will more than likely be fine. I don't care if its a $6000 Fodera or a $169 Yamaha RBX. If you treat it with the care it deserves by putting it inin at least a gig bag, then odds of something bad happening to it are greatly reduced.

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    [​IMG] :D

14. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    i shall not vote. i would get a ride with one of the roadies or the drummer....