1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dilemma...selling J Bass and need options.???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray56funk, Aug 8, 2007.

1. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hola!
    I am selling my prized J Bass and need some opinions on what to buy. I have about $800 to spend on another bass...my thoughts:

1) Buy my old Peavey Cirrus 5 string (1999 USA) from a friend who I sold the bass to back in 2003. If I do this I can get a great deal from him ($600) and then still have $200 to blow elsewhere...

or

2) Buy two basses...one fretted and one fretless. I want some quality basses that will sound both good live and in the studio. I am thinking about MIJ or CIJ Fender P Bass and Jazz fretless or something else like used Yamaha BB series from 80's and a cheap fretless Squire.

Let me know what you all think...I am really in a pickle mentally trying to figure out what to do. I play a lot of funk, progressive jazz, rock, and folk americana and looks do matter with the gigs I do. I'd also like something I can solo on pretty well (fretless or fretted).

Thanks!

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think we can help you better if you tell us why are you thinking on selling that Jazz you have, and do you still have the G&L 2000?

3. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Lefty,
    I am thinking of selling the Jazz because I need something that I can do higher register soloing easier. Something that still funks and rocks with a smooth tone. I love the tone of the J bass...but I have to muscle it in the upper register to do more solo and chordal work. I want something that has a thinner neck overall while having easier access to the upper register. Otherwise...I still do traditional gigs where I need to sound of a j or p bass...but I have limited funds with the wife and I trying to pay off our wedding bills. The Peavey Cirrus would work...but I'd also love to have a fretless in my arsenal. ??????????????

4. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Oh...forgot...no I sold off the G&L 2000 to a very nice person in Seattle, WA. Wasn't feeling it when I had the Jazz as my main bass.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Sounds like you could practically get the Cirrus and the fretless Squire. I do wonder why you sold the Cirrus, and will buying it back remind you of that 'why'.

6. stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I sold the Cirrus because I was stupid...actually I bought a Zon Sonus 4 and I couldn't afford to keep both. I loved that Zon Sonus...that was my main regret getting rid of...too bad I can't afford another Zon right now. I loved the Cirrus...sounded amazing and recorded excellently. I didn't sell it because I didn't like it. Also...I sold it to a really good friend (old band manager) who loved the bass. He put a nice ding in the back of the bass and I'll be able to get it pretty cheap while it will still play in the same shape. That is where I am at right now.

I like the suggestion of the Cirrus and the Squire Jazz fretless...not a bad idea. I also may buy an old preamp (ADA MB-1) and a Peavey 4x10 TVF off him that I sold to him back in the day for the extra $200. He doesn't play anymore and I think he'll do a complete deal. That may change things a bit.

7. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    I would buy back your Cirrus 5....if you ever wanted another one, it would cost you a LOT more.....