Dilemma: to buy a new bass, or not!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bman, Jun 10, 2001.

1. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Prior to this past Christmas, I tended to play only J basses. I love the neck and the growl, and I thought I'd always own a Jazz bass..

My wife and I stopped in to Guitar Center six months ago, and I played a Warwick Streamer Standard (two pickup) and really liked it. (That's not the debate here.)

Anyway, to make a long story short, I now play the Warwick, and do not have a Jazz bass.

Onward: I stopped at the local music store yesterday and scored an SWR Workingmans 15. (I'm loving it.)

Anyway, the bass I was playing through it was the Fender Geddy Lee signature bass. When I got the Warwick, I was deciding between that and the Geddy Lee. I opted for the Warwick.

So now my wife says that if I'm going to get a Jazz bass again someday anyway, why don't I just go pick up the Geddy Lee bass. (I can get it for $700 with hardshell case.)

Here's my dilemma: I still really love the way the Warwick plays, and I just got the amp yesterday ($500 used.)
    I have a hard time reconciling the cash outlay when I'm not actively looking for a new bass.

On the other hand, when the CFO says "go buy that bass," I feel like I probably shouldn't hesitate.

I don't have a problem picking up all kinds of new guitars (all cheap, by the way - MIM Fenders, Yamaha, stuff like that) but I feel awful about buying basses that might not get used every day.

Trust me, I'm no whiner (Oh woe is me, I have to get another bass) :p
    But I'm honestly wrestling with this. Do I spend the money and just keep both basses forever? Do I even NEED another bass? (I'm almost exclusively a basement jam type of guy. We play cookouts, parties, and we've got a hall booked for a big bash in a few months.)

One side of me says: ALWAYS buy more music equipment.
    The other side says: Yo, you're going to have to actually pay money for this at some point, you know.
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    As they say in the Nike ads, Just do it!

I think every bass player should have at LEAST 2 basses. And don't worry, you won't be able to leave that Geddy Lee just sit around and collect dust, you will play it. If not every day so what? And, of course, the icing on the cake is you have BOSS approval!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm with MJB here.

I own 6 basses(soon to be 7, if I do well on Ebay!;)) and I only regularly play 2 of them, but I don't have to play them every day to appreciate them.

As much as you love your Warwick, it is always nce to have another bass with a different tone and vibe hanging around.

As much as I love my Zon and Pedulla, it is nice on occasion to pull out my Geddy Lee Jazz, or even my old Peavey Foundation and mess around with them.

If you can honestly afford it, and the wife is backing you on it, I say go for it!:)
  4. Well, unless you play professionally, then you don't really need a new bass. But basses are fun, I'm in the same situation, and as soon as I get the money I'm buying a new MIM Fender Jazz (only a few weeks left, hopefully!). We don't really know your financial situation, if you can afford it, then I say great, get it. But it's your decision, do you really need the input of a teenager who lives at home and only real expense is gas and junk food? Hmm, why am I answering this then? Oh well.
  5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey i have a warwick corvette pro-line ive had for years and love her to death! But its only a 4 string so i bought a spector amercan bolt on 5 so i can have a 5 string! I also have a 67 fender frettless p-bass so i can have a frettless! You need diff basses for diff sounds! Kinda like a play the warwick for smooth jazz and funk but when we do old school funk without slap i use the old fender! Well thats when iam not going crazy about my amp tones! I do the same wit5h them! I have a hartke heade i use through a swr goliath 4-10 cab for my smooth jazz and funk but a old school ampeg portaflex 67 for the other stuff! Ya gotta have the right gear for your ear! Hey i think i just made a good line?!