Dilemma with a potential band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fr0me0, Jan 13, 2006.

1. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    So I auditioned with this metal band the other day. I can totally fit the image of the band, chops arn't a problem and they showed me all the riffs and I learned them on the spot of just caught the riff by looking at guitat players hand. Only problem is they don't like my tone. I don't blame them cause my tone was crap when I played the them. But the issues is they play in Drop C and none of my basses are set up for drop C. So i just took a bass tuned it down to drop C and the strings were floppy as hell.

So I flat out told the singer I'm not going to go out and buy a new set of sting, potentially have widen the notches in my nut just to find out I'm not in the band to have to buy and install a new nut and have useless set of stings with 1 hr playing time on them. I've got more than enough of a rig for the bars were going to be playing, you know I have the chops, why can't you trust me that my tone will be good once i've got a bass set up for drop C, my tone in standard tuning and half a step down is fine. He says "tone is very important to us and we dont' know what your tone is going to be like in drop C we want to make sure were sounding good for out show in april"

kidna stuck between a rock and a hard place but don't think I'm being unreasonable. I want at least a commitment that I'm going to be playing bass for their show in april before I set a bass up for drop C but they wanna hear me in drop C before they'll commit to me being in a band and playing a show.

I'm not really starving for a band I jam with alot of people So I really don't see any point in backing down but its unfortunate cause I like the guys like the music and have room in my schedule for it.

Can anyone think of a possible solution to this dilema?

I could see their point a little better if they were all gearheads, but the singer sings through a 50 watt monitor for practices until he buys a pa ( so how do i really know what his tone is like :p) and to change from drop C to C the one guitarist seemed to smash his foot on his multi effects pedal (making awful noises until he got to the tuner) and the other guitarist plugged into a hand held tuner. Not exactly professional, and granted this is not a professional band (we'd be playing shows for peanut) But if you are worried that much about a bass players tone, figure you might want to have your **** a little more together.
  2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    For tuning to C without having to really do anything to your nut, check out Lo Riders by DR...they're thicker strings, but not thick enough to really have to tear into your nut...

Now, what kind of tone did they have before you on bass?
  3. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    they've never had a bass player before. They didn't think I had enough punch but I really had to kill the bottom end on the EQ to make up for how horribly loose the string were. I could only bring a small 2X10 down to jam too cause my Big Ben wouldn't fit down the stairs of the guys house.

I'll look for the strings but I'm not too interested in shelling out money for new strings when I don't need them If I had a bass with dead strings I'd be game, but I play fingerstyle with a light touch don't sweat much and string seem to last forever. I think my oldest set of string are a month or 2 old at most too so none of them need replacing any time soon.
  4. I would suggest to these guys that they really need to take themselves a little less seriously. I mean, how can they criticise your tone when they have never had a bass player before. Who are they comparing you to?

Tell them that playing music with other people should be first and foremost about enjoying it, not scrapping about drop C tuning etc:rollno:

If it were me, I wouldn't be keen on being part of this situation.
  5. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

I'd bet when they first tried the C tuning, they had problems with strings too. If they're giving you a hard time about that, what else are they going to give you a hard time about?

Peter Squire said it best...it's not a good situation to get into.
  6. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I totally agree with this! :D
  7. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I'll admit my tone was the pitts but any decent musician should know you can't just downtune the strings on a bass that much and expect it to sound good.

I have a 1X18 big ben with a 200 watt head so they all should know thats more than enough punch to play a show in a small bar. and its not like a P bass is going to have some kinda of god awful tone they've never heard before

Its not like its a paying gig so why buy new strings to run the risk of it being a huge waste of time.

thanks for the commetns I was kind of doubthing myself a bit cause my tone wasn't that great but it was really do to resonable factors, IE his house is too small to get my real rigg down the basment and since they arn't paying me anything if I join I don't want to shell out the cash to set up a bass just for the priviledge of maybe having a band to jam with in the future when I get that for free all the time.
  8. Yes, DR Lo-Riders 45-105 work great for D tuning. For Drop C the low C gets a little floppy but works. You would not have to install a new nut but of course a little setup work is needed. If not with this band you will probably have use for the strings some other time since detuning is not uncommon. Yeah, sure they're not that professional but you like the guys, like the music so it could be worth a try. It's up to you.
  9. And also, if they are that determined to play in drop c, why don't they advertise for a bassist with a 5-strang?
  10. Exactly......They sound like a bunch of idiots to me.....

Go where your talents will be appreciated, not where they will suprise you with something like "dropped C" tuning, and then talk about your tone like you had any control over string tension...

If you do get your bass setup for this, keep in mind you're at the tip of the iceberg with this band, and these guys will probably try to push you around when much more important matters are at hand....:eyebrow:

They're not even worth the setup on your bass, I say....
  11. jacko spades

jacko spades

Jan 9, 2006
    Central FL
    hmmm... I play a 4 string in drop C and I use regular strings because my other band plays in standard. You can get used to the flop, but a lot of times it's better to play the "d" (actually c) string instread of the "E" (also C) string especially if you're doubling the guitars, and then use the low C string when you need a real "Bwwwoomp" kinda sound, fo slow choppy beats. I don't profess to know exactly what I'm talking about, but it's an idea untill you decide if you really wanna stick with them, and on that I'm kinda with FaithNoMan - the whole "tone" thing sounds like BS to me - isn't your tone your peroguative? (sp)
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    One of my basses is a 4 string that's set-up to go between drop C and drop D - I leave the other 3 strings at standard tuning, and just change my "E" string to either a .110 or a .111(if I can find them)... That way, I don't have a "floppyness" problem - and I didn't have to change the nut any... You'll have to lengthen the nut to bridge distance for proper intonation, but that's no biggie... In my area, I can typically buy a single .110 for around $7 - you *might* want to try this approach - it won't cost you much, won't force any semi-permanent alterations, and can be handled in a few minutes... Besides, even if it doesn't work out with this band, given today's propensity for drop tunings, you probably should have a bass to handle those duties... Just a thought,

- georgestrings
  13. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'd go back to what Peter was saying. They seem to be demanding of you, but they don't sound so professional and it doesn't sound like they have the proper equipment,AND it sounds like they are a little full of themselves. You say you will only be playing for peanuts.
    Granted where I live, I'm having a hard time putting a band together myself. But I would not put up w/ playing w/ a bunch of premadonna jerks.
    I don't like these guy already and I've never met them.

So I guess the question is, just how bad do you want this and are you willing to put up w/ whatever else they throw at you?
  14. What the hell kind of band is this? They sound pretty pretentious to me. "Drop C" is a very weird tuning to use. I think it would sound terrible.

It really doesn't sound like they're being considerate of your situation at all. Personally, I'd move along to a band that has their stuff together, and understands how a bass guitar actually works.
  15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You've got two choices:

A)Tell them to go blow (what I would do--of course, I am in my early thirties and use flats, so what do I know?:D)

b)Tell them that if the tone is so frikkin' important to them, then THEY can pay for the changes to your bass. If they "approve,":rolleyes: then you can reimburse them.

If not, then you simply put the old nut back on your bass, and buy yourself a new set of strings of your choosing. This way, they can have a set of ultra heavy strings around for the next rube who wants to tune down 2 steps to be "different." You know--just like the other 1,000,000 bands out there to be "different." :bassist:
  16. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Why bother? You have already said it's a peanut gig. So why go to all the bother and worry? From the sound of things you'll probable never even get the peanut gigs to play.
  17. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    AND, how did they get a gig in April in the state their bands in now? A relitive?
  18. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada

the only reason I could see using drop tuning would be to keep a super low pitched screaming singer in Key. (i'm not musical genius though maybe there is some kind of other reasons)

thing is they don't even have a super low pitched screaming singer. if they did I wouldn't evenconsider joining I really don't like that music. (dave mustaine and lemme are about as dirty as I like the vocals to get) so I don't see why I'd ever have to play in drop C again. I can do drop D or even every string a full step down with no problem its just the drop C string gets so loose its so floppy it distorts and sounds like garbage.

i'm just going to say **** it I think. I already play in a few bands and jam with lots of people so its no skin off my teeth
  19. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    the singer is a "promoter" of sorts, he puts together local metal shows and has his band put in a slot for one on april. Its only a half hour set and they should be able to throw it together in time no problem. the music isnt exactly technical I didn't have any trouble figuring out their riffs on the spot.
  20. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That explains a lot! Seems like you have some things going, I really don't think you'll miss them. Good luck to you!