Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Jul 24, 2018.

1. I have my sights set on a new Fender Player Series P bass. I have small hands/fingers, so a J neck would suit me. I guess you see where I’m going with this.

I would also be wanting to get a Babicz full contact bridge and a SD Quarter Pounder to replace the stock pup. I understand that I would just have to eat the price of the stock bridge and pickup but it would be worth it. Just wondering about the neck situation.

Do you think I can get a Player Series P bass with a J neck? I know it’s possible but I’m wondering if Sweetwater would hook me up with this without bending me over a barrel... i.e., would I have to pay for the Player Series P bass and then pay extra for a J neck or do you think they would give me a break on the price since they would be keeping the P neck?

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  3. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010

Sweetwater won't sell you half a bass and keep the neck. But Stratosphere will.

LOADED 2018 Fender Player Precision P BASS BODY Bass Guitar 3TS Sunburst

4. Thanks for the tip!!!
    Can you explain the difference between a 12” radius and a 9.5” radius (speaking of a J neck)? Is a 12” more “flat”? Easier or harder to play? I have small hands/fingers. Thanks again!

Son of Wobble likes this.
  5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    The higher number indicates a flatter radius.
    Really hard to say which radius you will prefer, or find easier.
    A more rounded neck is thought to be easier for fretting chords. But I find a flatter radius helps me get better note definition, and feels comfortable to me from having played classical guitars with dead flat boards.

This is one to let your hand decide. Go to the guitar store and see what you like, then order accordingly from Stratosphere or some other dealer.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    bdplaid, MCF, Wisebass and 5 others like this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I'm gonna agree with Son of Wobble.

Sweewater would only be able to help you if you wanted to order a Custom Shop bass. I'm not certain even the "Design Your Own" option allows you to sub a Jazz neck for a PBass neck but you can ask. If not and I were you I'd consider two options.

1) Buy a used PBass which already has a Jazz Bass neck and modify it. Reverb would be a good place to look for one or post a Bass Wanted classified here on TalkBass.

2) Buy a PBass Body, and a Jazz Bass Neck from someone like The Stratosphere and assemble your own bass. Do you feel you have the tools and skills do that?

You can buy a prewired solderless wiring harness for about $60 or about $40 for one that will require soldering the pickup leads and grounds to the pots. Your choice. Then you'll need to buy the pickup. Why an SD Quarter Pound?

The Babicz FHC Bridge is a drop in install for any five hole mounting. I have one on both my PBass and my Jazz Bass. It only takes a couple on minutes to mount it's base plate and maybe half an hour total to install springs, saddles, and cams as well.

Both my basses where bone stock Classic Vibes which I modified myself. It's not all that hard to do if you know what you're doing and in a certain way I think it also helps you bond with a bass that's exactly what you like.

You might even look for a Matt Freeman model like mine to modify. Those do have a rather nice neck profile already you might find very comfortable. I have relatively short fingers and I have no problems with it at all.

Good Luck.

bdplaid and Ghastly like this.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Get a P bass with a P neck, and spend 4 months playing it. If you decide that just doesn't work, you will feel that much better when you buy your J neck and switch it out, but honestly, P bass should be doable for you, and you might even decide you like it better.

Signed,
    Mr. Tiny Hands

bdplaid, Son of Wobble, Mili and 5 others like this.
  8. Thanks Son of Wobble. Interesting. So basically, I can buy a loaded P bass body AND a J neck (also purchase machine heads) bolt them together and I’m ready to go? If this is possible, I’m seriously considering this approach. I can modify the bridge and pickup later. Thanks!

9. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Have you taken a look at the MIM Deluxe Active P? Sure, it costs a bit more and it has some additional features that are not on the Players Series, but you would get a P-Bass (PJ) with a Jazz neck. Just a thought.

bdplaid, MCF and Charlzm like this.
  10. Thanks for the advice/suggestion, Warpeg. I have a Squier Affinity PJ now and like it. However, I REALLY want the P body J neck combo with P bass pup only. Additionally, I’m not a fan of active pickups. I do appreciate your post, however. Thank you.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    There is a deluxe that isn't active. Other than the jazz bass pickup and an extra knob, it's essentially a p-bass with a jazz neck.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/open-box-fender-special-edition-deluxe-pj-bass

Other than that, buying a body only (on Reverb, Stratosphere) and putting a jazz neck on it is your best bet.

Clutchcargo likes this.
  12. Hi Maxdusty. I have been looking at this exact bass for quite sometime. Recently, I have decided I really wanted to go with a P bass pickup only. However, ultimately, this may be the most logical and cost-effective route. I guess I could just roll off the J pup when I didn’t want to incorporate it while playing. Heck, I might even discover that I like using a certain blend of the two pups. Dropping in a SD quarter pounder P and J might also convince me that I made a good choice. Thanks for the reply. I think I’m back to targeting the SE Deluxe PJ again.

Charlzm likes this.
  13. Anhg77

Anhg77

Apr 10, 2018
    Chile
    There is absolutely no reason why you could not adapt to a p neck. I have fairly small hands and play only 5 strings, including a couple of my bases with 19mm string spacing at the bridge, which means they have a pretty big neck. Compared to that, the difference between a 4 string jazz or precision neck is negligible.
    Besides the extra meat in the precision reduces fatigue when you play for hours.

14. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    FWIW, I have small fingers and hands and J bass necks cramp me up. 1.75 P bass necks or 5 strings feel better. If I was to play a J neck it would have to be a super thick neck or have a very round 7.5” radius.

Perhaps the larger neck size forces me to use more proper technique where the skinny J neck wants my left thumb to almost come over the top.

Also, the “players with smaller stature or smaller hands” gimmicks primarily exist to sell more entry level gear. That is why the saying is so ubiquitous.

Son of Wobble and Mili like this.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I love PJ basses and jazz basses, but with PJs, I usually play them as a P bass with a little bit of the jazz bass pickup if any, maybe at most a quarter turn of the knob for that particular pickup for a little bit of a definition or sometimes as a straight P with no jazz pickup depending on the song. I prefer the body shape of the P bass over the Jazz but I love the jazz neck and it's playability myself so I view that extra pickup as an extra option on what is essentially a P Bass that one can use or not.
    Also by buying the bass as it is with the neck that originally came with the bass, you not only save yourself some money but the re-sale value is there. If you buy a body and then put a jazz neck on it, it's not going to have that much of a re-sale value.

16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    this is true, I'm cursed with short fingers but have been playing for 30+ years, I can play on a bass with a baseball bat neck, one of my main basses is a Musicman Ray...however, given a choice between a jazz neck and a P bass neck, even after so many years of playing, I would still prefer the jazz neck, not that I can't play on a P bass neck- just a matter of preference. So I can see and understand the op's point of view. My technique is the same on either neck. Well, I also have a short thumb so my left thumb never comes over the top lol..

17. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I would think shorter scale length would help the small hands bass player more than a few mm's of width .

Charlzm likes this.
  18. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    And it really only helps if you are dead set on the very manly 1 finger per fret technique. If you are willing to work frets 1-3 with 4 fingers the rest of the neck is negligible.

Effective reach plays more of a role for people who require short scales do to injury, or the smaller framed player. Fender P is one of the best for a short effective reach at 34” so no worries there.

19. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I think you may have a Warmoth Bass in your future...

Engle likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Regarding radius, how does your current board/neck feel to you? If great, check the specs of what you're currently playing and shop for the same... if you can't locate the info, I would think a guitar tech would have the jigs/tools to help you determine the radius...

... good luck, Kipp!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021