Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grey, Mar 31, 2005.

1. grey

May 13, 2004
    Ok, here's my problem.

A while ago I bought a second hand Hartke Mosfet 3500 head (350W@4Ohms) with the view to buying a cheap second hand cab. However, in that time, nothing has come up. So, I've been looking to get a budget new cab. The Ashdown MAG range has been recommended to me, so I thought I'd get a 2x10 for practice/small gigs, and then if necessary, add a 1x15 in the future.

But then I thought about the money, and for a little more than it would have cost me for the head and one of the cabs, I could get a combo like the Ashdown MAG C210T. Now bearing in mind that the 2x10 cab has 240 watt power handling at 8 ohms, I would be getting more power out of that combo, than I would from the head/cab setup.

Would I be better off just selling the head and getting the combo, or stick with the original plan?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It really depends on what you're playing, how loud, what kind of places..etc.

I have a 3500 that I played for over 10 years with a single 8ohm 4x10, and it worked fine for most settings.

If you only intend on ever using 2 10's, why not head over to Avatar and pick up one of their cabinets...they're the favorite in these parts for good sounding 'budget' gear. You might even find that the 4x10 or 2x12 is in your price range. They'll do all cabinets in 4 or 8 ohm ratings. You could get a 2x10 and a 1x12 for under 500 bucks and have a whole rig.

240 watts and 2x10 wouldn't inspire much confidence in me for any real playing situations.
  3. grey

May 13, 2004
    Can't seem to find em in the UK - do they have a website?
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Maybe you differ from me, but I'd say stick with the original plan.

Head/cab setups are always more flexible, and more easily upgraded. Easy to swap out pieces; trade up from a 2x10 to a 4x10; add a 15 for more bottom, etc. Decide you need more power, and trade in your head for a more robust one.

Get a combo, and you're locked in for the most part. And since you already bought the head.....

There are those who disagree with me, to be sure. I'm sure their rebuttal is coming soon.... :smug:

Oh, and last I checked, Avatar is not available in the UK..... unfortunately.....
  5. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Stick with the 3500. I had one for years, and it was a great little amp. It puts out 240w @ 8 Ohms, just so ya know. It doesn't really benefit you at all to get the combo. With the head, you can always buy another 8 Ohm cab to get the full power out of it. I've used it with an 8 Ohm 4x10 and a 4 Ohm 8x10, and the head always performed well. :)
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Not only are the 3500's good heads, but you've got one of the old ones, which are the more desireable of the 3500's they're known for being sturdier and less prone to various types of failure. Yeah, I didn't see in your profile that you're in the UK, and Dave @ Avatar won't ship outta the country right now.

I personally would think about continuing looking for a used 4x10 cabinet...maybe post a wanted post here and maybe putting it in your signature line to get the word out. You should be able to find a decent (not boutique) used cab in the 100-300 UK pound price range.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Stick with the original plan bud. That is a fine amp you have. Buy a 210, then get another 210 or a 410 to go with it. As long as both cabs are 8ohms, you can run both at the same time with the Hartke.