1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Obese Chess, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I hope this is in the right forum...if not, feel free to move it.

I have a Yamaha BB404 bass, loaded with EMGs, which I am quite a fan of. However, I don't use it very much and find the action too high for my tastes, even when it's as low as it can go.

I also have an offer for a completely custom-built 5-string, and if I were to sell the Yamaha I would have enough to make the down payment.

Should I?
    I can't decide, and I figured I'd get the help of the well-informed TB community.

Thanks!

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    if you are not happy with it, sell, unless it was a gift from someone who is no longer with you, then years down the road you will kick yourself.

3. Obese Chess

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Nope, it was a gift to myself. And who knows whether or not I'm still with myself, eh? :D

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    You say the action is as low as it will go. Have you tried shimming the neck and starting over?

5. As much as I do love yamaha, if you can get a bass built by a reputable luthier for a bit over the cost of the yammy, I say do it. If the luthier is some random guy you met who claims to build basses, I would advise against it. If the down payment he is asking for is a small portion of the total payment he will want, I advise against it.

6. Obese Chess

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
  7. If you don't like it, it's not worth holding on to or putting more money into fixing it.

8. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Say that john Bennetts five string is quite similar ( by looks only ) to a Peavey Grind.?

9. Gnome

Gnome

Jul 27, 2006
    Mexico City, MX
    My first bass is a Yamaha BB404, which I'm holding right now. I later got a Fender American Jazz Bass. The yamaha can't match the sound of the Fender at all, but it's a pretty good bass for the price.

That being said, if it's not for you, it's not for you.

10. Obese Chess

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    yeah - but it sounds like Les Claypool's Rainbow bass.
    The specs on mine make it, according to Jeff, "One seriously baaaad mother[lover]."