Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DILLEMA!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Argh, okay, heres the deal.

Found a BTB 405QM (The 5 string Ive wanted) for $400!!!

But I now have about $900 and was thinking about just getting a really nice 4 string jazzer to last me a few years.

Now Im stuck. Should I just go for this bass, and use the other 500 to pick up an amp along with it?

As I could probably get an SWR Workingman's 15.

WHAT DO I DO???? ARGH!

2. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Seeing as your current amp is a little practice amp, your going to see a much more drastic increase in sound by upgrading to the WM15, than by playing a nice bass through that little amp. Those Workingman's are good little amps, I'd get that and the BTB 5, and be done with your setup for awhile.

Or even just get an amp, that's where you'll notice the most difference in tone, as I already said...hehe. :D

Get the BTB and the WM15. The BTB is a solid, versatile, bass. You won't be dissapointed... :cool:

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I've never played the BTB but it looks like a decent 5 string, on the other hand you can spend your 900 on a brand new MIA jazz 4...it all depends on what you really want and what you really need. Fender is definitely better but...$$$$
    the BTB405+SWR option isn't bad at all, too;)

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if u want to play sumwhere with a band get the amp and the BTB. Personally id drop it on a nicer bass but i have a pretty large amp i guess. Look around used u can get a better amp than that for $500 used.

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    get the BTB ($400) a used swr 350 (300) and an avatar 2x10 (200)

VOILA! problem solved

7. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    SWR350?

You're speaking gibberish. I know nothing about amplification ;)

8. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
  9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Noobai,

2 things....

1) I agree with the others. If a 5 str BTB is a dream bass, and is only 400 bucks, then by all means get it. I think a BTB is a good bass that can cover alot of sounds, so it will serve you for quite a few years.

2) The other reason for doing it this way, it seems you don't have much for an amplifier. Defifintely take advantage of the deal on the bass and use the remaining cash to buy a nice amp.
    If you can get The Stranger magazine in Olympia, browse the classifieds. There's always good stuff in there cheap.