Dillemas....I feel like I want the challenge of a six, but do I really need one?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I got 'em. First up to bat:

I want to get a DP bass (well documented). Now, I've maintained that I want a sixer. But then, when I play my four, I think, hey, I dig four, I could just get a souped up four. Plenty of people to admire play 4s, right? Then I think, but if I ever wanted to use the other strings, they are right there, correct? 4 or 6 I feel like I want the challenge of a six, but do I really need one? I'm familliar and comfortable with a 4 though...That is actually hurting thinking about.

And I still need to get up Bass Central and hang with Gard.

And then, do I reallllly want DP? I reallllllly dig Modulus...Oh, the splitting headache of it all...

Edit: The car thing is taking care of itself, and since Cassanova uh, refined the thread name, I'll take out the amp ponderings, so I guess now the thread is officially the Dilemma about the number of strings on my next bass. Like that's really any easier :rolleyes:
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Brendan, you are not alone in with your dilemma. I am going through about the same thing right now.

I have all the specs and pricing nailed down on a DP Custom, all I have left to do is send him the cash, which I now have, to get started on it.

But I am also looking to upgrade my rig. I am gigging every weekend, and an 810 cab is getting to be a pain to lug around. So I am looking into getting a higher powered head with a 4x10 cab and a 1x15 cab.

And then there's the issue of the Spector NS5CRFM and the Modulus Q5 that I played a couple weeks ago.

Trouble is, I can only afford one of these things right now. And I can't prioritize which one of them I should shoot for first. All of them (hopefully) will be a go sometime in the future, I just gotta decide what I want now and what can wait.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't any help to you at all!:) But at least I got to complain about my problems a little bit, too.;) Maybe someone here will have an answer for us.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Like showering us with a few million to fix all the dilemma's? Yeah. That's my answer.:D
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Brendan, my suggestion is to shop around for a decent used 6-string. After you play the 6'er for while, you'll know if it's right for you. Then, if you want to upgrade to a DP custom, or you just don't care for a 6'er, you can sell the used bass for little or no financial loss.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Upgrade to DP? Well, in quality, yes, price, no. I really admire Dave's work and for the price I was going to spend on a bass anyway, It just seems right. And besides, I can't go springin for a used 6...I got other dillemas!:) But, yes, I see your point. I might shop around for a used 6. I am in the market for one, but to find the right one...oh that's another mess unto itself...
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  7. Go, to a shop, pick up a 6-string, play for a while, see what you think, if you like it get it. Personally I'd say go for a 6 just because, they're so cool, and you'll still have your 4-strings to play on whenever you feel like it, just because you own a 6-stringit doesn't have to be the primary weapon i your arsenal. Sorry don't know much about rigs and stuff.
  8. If I were you, this is what would happen:

Car: No. You've managed so far.

Used 6: Very time consuming. It could be better spent researching stuff for your DP custom. Which leads to:

DP Custom: YES. Kills GAS dead. Also, will give you a nice challenge and open up doors into other areas of playing.

Amps: Good second choice, problem being is transport. If you want big cabs, they need moving. Will you need a car for this? Probably. Do you have the money for both? Probably not, unless you pull a Brad Johnson-esque move on both fronts and get killer deals on the things.

But, I still think you spend long and hard thinking about this.

And Ryan: Please get the DP. If anything, it'll at least give you a new spin on the Modulus and the Spector, and maybe you won't like 'em so much anymore.

I really like Dave Pushic:D. But I'm poor, so not yet:(
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Im probably gonna get flamed for this, but oh well.....If youve got nice gear already, I say go for the car. ya need a car these days, its better than relying on family/friends, public transportation, or even worse having to walk in this nasty florida heat....then start saving for a nice 6....thats just my 2 cents worth tho.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you're looking for a real "challenge" then I would say that would be something like learning a complex piece at fast tempos, in all possible keys or maybe trying to play a song - solo on bass including the tune and all the chords simultaneously. Not just buying another bass!

I actually found the 6 string easier to play and I now find it harder when I go back to 4 - when I'm transposing things they "off the end" of the fretboard.

By all means buy a 6-string but don't justify it as a "challenge" - just acknowledge it as acquisitiveness and the novelty value!! ;)
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    See Bruce, That's why I have the dillema as far as the 4 or 6 goes...or 5 even. There's so much to do on a four, that I feel guilty going to six, but at the same time, I feel like a 4 just isn't where I want to be right now. So to me, I honestly don't know where to go.

I've wanted a six a quite some time, so I know that It's not a passing whim type thing, but then, I know I'm not some bass ace, so I guess some people might say I might not utilize what a six is possible of. Bassically, I have fits, sometimes I just want to get LOW, lower than a 4 can get, hence B...then I want to go higher, like C high. Sometimes both fits at the same time. But of course, I might just be saying that as a way of skirting the issue that yes, I can survive on a 4.
    Or maybe just I figure more strings will make me "better" by opening up possibilites (I know better than that, but I suspect that that might have something to do with my yearning for a 6).
    And, since I play agressive music, I know that there's going to be only a finite amound of space for my bass to breath, so a six might be over kill. Might not be either. Look at Tool and Mudvayne. Agressive with tons of bass room.

My head hurts. The more I think about it, the more 4 or 5 becomes and option. And like I said prior, a 4 I know I can handle, and I know my way around (to some degree). But low? I can downtune. And if I wanted tunings different, I could just get another 4, I can't imagine needing more than 2 tunings on hand instantly (I can always tune on the fly, not switching basses, remember). And I can EQ some thunder into my bass, right?

Wow...I think I might have just talked myself into another 4. Wow...I might have to talk with Dave about a 4 instead of a six....

But then, I still kinda want a 5 or six! Arg!...help?:(
  12. I'm going to get a new bass (I hope) when I get back to school, and I can't decide for myself whether I want a 6 string or a 4. I have a fretless 4 string that I'm definitely keeping, but since money is so tight, I think I need a regular 4 string to play slap with (even though I don't slap all that often.)

Having a 6 would definitely be nice for the extended range, but I can't afford to have three basses right now. Bah.
  13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i must be one lucky bastard...
    i have MIM p now, which will get defretted as soon as i get my Conklin GT-7 stringer, but you see, im 14, and i must be one lucky person. our band has a finacial aid that apys half for all gear. im so lucky
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    since you asked for opinions, i'll give ya mine...

dude, relax. get what you want. don't look for or care about someone else's justifications - they aren't going to be the one playing it, you are. take it from me, you definitely DON'T have to justify your decisions to anyone else.

if you want an extended range bass, you OWE it to yourself to get one, and screw everyone and everything else - that is MORE than enough justification to get one - don't be a sheep ;). if you don't want it, then by all means, don't get it.

simple. what do you want?
  15. I wish it were only that simple :)
  16. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    You are right. You are only 14 years old, and you get financial for your band to buy yourself a Conklin 7 string. :) Good on you! I see one of your influences is John Turner - he must be proud to have a convert!
  17. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    This is how i think of it:

if you play styles of music that uses a 6, you may want a 6, but if you are playing older music, before 5ers and 6ers were around, i may want to stick with 4 (or maybe 3) strings.
  18. You can do anything on a six that you can do on four. You won't blame yourself for having more range than the other guys, not when you get it. JT was right on the money, and if you're even contemplating it then you probably need it:D.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brendan, I agree with JT.

Get what you want.
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But what do I want?

I've been around and around the subject with myself, my friends and my peers. And I tell you, I want a six. And of course, most of you are right, theres always those four strings on the bass, so if I ever decide that I don't really need those top ones, I can always just use them sparingly. Og course, then that might lead to JT's "Big Crayon" problem with 4s...:D

Honestly the reason I ponder the number of strings to you all is that I'm actually not sure. I mean, a while ago I was after a GT-7 myself, and sixes before and after that. I don't need to justify anything to anybody, just myself. (I, who happen to be my worst critic)

But, along with JT, and the rest of you 5+ guys, Anthony Jackson says:(courtesy Bassplayer.com)

There has been some criticism leveled at the 6-string bass guitar. Some players call it a marketing gimmick while others feel they should master the "standard" 4-string before concerning themselves with a six. Your thoughts?

My feeling is: Why is four the standard and not six? As the lowest-pitched member of the guitar family, the instrument should have had six strings from the beginning. The only reason it had four was because Leo Fender was thinking in application terms of an upright bass, but he built it along guitar lines because that was his training. The logical conception for the bass guitar encompasses six strings. As regards the issue of "mastering the 4-string" before moving on to the six, consider that inasmuch as there is no point where one can be said to have "mastered" anything, to make this inane suggestion reveals the speakers to be idiots. As long as we remain seekers, never truly achieving our ultimate goals, we may as well start with the full basic blueprint and enjoy the expanded expressive possibilities of the extended range of the instrument. Of course, the undoubtedly famous-name superstars who utter this nonsense probably regard themselves as masters in their own right. So be it. For the rest of us, their attitude reveals them to be jealous, angry, and frustrated. Too damn bad."

And you know what? I think I'm gonna get that six. Course...now I gotta go and get me another Job to pay for it. Oh being 16...:rolleyes:

I'm sure I've played more basses poorly than any man in history. This must have some cosmic effect on the universe, and I'll have to answer for it when I die.
    ¬óDick Smothers

Ditto :D