Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ckulasekere, Sep 27, 2005.

1. I am going through some mental anguish lately. See I just got my Marcus Miller that I had dreamed about for months and the tone and clarity simply blow away my 5 string Ibanez btb. I find myself playing the MM all the time because of tone and articulation. I am basically asking if there are any other musicians who have had a similar experience where you like the 4 string more than you current five but feel limited or that you can do more with a 5 but are giving it up for better sound. Also If any one could recommend a good 5 or 6 to replace my Ibz. I don't have a clear distinction as to why I would need more than one bass. PLEASE HELP. thank in advance
  2. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    um dunno what your budget is but sell both your basses and get a used marcus miller 5 or sadowsky MV5 metro... but hey im biased coz i love those basses
  3. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    ooh ohh... me! I have a BTB (my only 5) and a few 4 strings. The BTB is, imho, just not a good sounding bass. But I love the neck and, because it's a 5, it's my default gigging bass. I constantly feel like I have to make a choice between tone and flexibility.

If only Bongos came with BTB necks....
  4. debbandruss

Jun 10, 2004
    My stable of basses at this time consists of a fretless jazz and a precision special strung B-E-A-D, you'd be surprised how much ground just these two basses cover! Sometimes the solutions to our dilemmas can be found by keeping it simple... take your time and weigh all your options, and more than anything else enjoy yourself whatever you decide! Peace!
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Your solution is simple: save your pennies and get a five string that equals your MM Fender in quality.
  6. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    "Better sound" is subjective. You have to decide what you like over the BTB.

Personally, I think BTBs are great. Tons of tonal variety, and (most tellingly) top-notch fretwork. For the money, they really can't be beat.

Have you considered a new set of pickups or preamp for the BTB? I'm pretty sure there's a pair of Barts that fit the BTB without routing. Nordstrands too, I think.
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    This one's obvious. Save up some cash. Sell your MM 4 and your Ibeenhad, buy a MM5.
  8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I was going to say this, but I couldn't remember if there was a MM5 model.
  9. thanks to all for hyour replies