Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dillinger Escape Plan is the heaviest band period.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Oct 8, 2002.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I just saw them live for the first time and those guys are the heaviest thing I have ever heard. Mike Patton even made a guest appearance and they covered the Aphex Twin song "Come to Daddy." That drummer can nail those drum n bass beats. Anyway just thought I would share since it was a great show.

2. I beg to differ.. the grindcore band " Bluuurgh! " is still the heaviest band.. they play in drop G !

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Carrots are the heaviest. Period²
    Lots of iron :p

4. LMAO! :D

"We're gonna play in drop G!"
    -"Oh, what does that sound like?"
    "Bluuuuuuuurgh!... wait, there's a band name in there."

5. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    DEP is good math rock, but hardly the hardest band out there. Still a good choice though :D

6. I really used to get the whole "go as fast as you can" Math metal stuff. But that stuff just gets boring after a while. Speed and techinque doesn't impress me as much as something that is versatile and different. With a soul, you know? Powerful stuff that speaks without lyrics (yelling or otherwise). Not that DEP isn't different........:) They are very very different. I just see little difference in there songs.

-Insighted

7. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I am just happy to see a band out there thats not scacrificing talent to the main stream like so many "nu-metal" acts of today. Maybe bands like Dillinger Escape Plan can show kids that if you sit down and practice your instrument a little bit, you can take heavy music to new uncharted territory, which is much more interesting than what is played on the radio these days. I also like the fact that they all have short hair and wear normal clothes and aren't trying to push any kind of a fake image. They just are what they are.

Also, Bluuurgh! may play in drop G, but Dillinger plays in standard tuning. How many bands these days are able to pull that off and still come across so heavy?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You did on Candiria? I like them better than DEP, they seem to do a broader range of styles, and have more versatility, musically. Not to mention they kick a fair amount of ass. Not as fast as DEP, but just as complex, and they actually incorperate jazz (not jazz influences) into their sound. Great band!

9. Sounded like **** when they came here, to be honest!

They supported SOAD, and really, no one was liking them. They called us faggots - on stage fun, maybe, so we gave it back - they didnt even play half their set becuase the guitarist broke all his guitars or something, and really no one liked them.

The whole band, I have to say are very talented, going nuts and not messing up a note, but sound like **** to me! I can't describe how.. yuvky it is.. :p :mad:

IMO: they suck. ;)

10. Actually.. the title comes from the lead erhmm.. " singer " vocals.. he's got one of the deepest and heaviest grunts i've ever heard :)

11. i downloaded a good amount of their songs...and they are definatly one of the worst bands I've ever heard.

I wonder if i hit a bunch of random notes and yell gibberish I can become semi-famous too?

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's not quite random, JR. It's actually a very balanced and precisely executed exercise in both controlled chaos, and technical ability. You just hace to listen. It goes from chaos to a carefully orchestrated song. It's not random, and it's not gibberish.

13. Mathias_TfG

Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    Hey... I have long hair and wear baggy pants and beat up flannel shirts that don't fit me, necklaces, etc. I am definitely not going for a fake immage... thats really who I am. I went for the "fake" immage for a few years - short, gelled hair, abercrombie shirts, etc... It didn't feel right, so I gave up and regrew my hair, and began shopping at Aimes (RIP) and stuff. People may see me and think or say "what are you trying to be, some kind of hippie" or "so, you decided to go for the grunge look... you know the nineties are over." and stuff like that, but this is just what feels comfortable to me.

14. I checked out the band you told me about and I think I might want to give them a try. What album would you suggest? How many do they have?

-insighted

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They have three albums out right now,
    Proccess of Self-Development
    300% Density
    The C.O.M.A. Imprint

I'd recomend 300% Density and POSD first.

Songs to check:
    Contents Under Pressure
    Constant Velocity...
    Work In Progress
    Signs of Discontent
    Method Of Expression
    Channeling Elements
    Mathmatics
    R-evolutionize-R
    Words from the Lexicon
    Faction
    Mass
    Mental Crossover

And that should give you a pretty darned good idea what Candiria is about.

16. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    If they are the worst band you have ever heard you should expand your musical tastes and listen some of the other even worse stuff out there.

That didn't sound right did it...

17. I saw them last week...great live act who are extremely talented musicians. Canidiria isn't quite as fun to listen to for me, since their vocalist bothers me even more. However, all Dillinger Escape Plan non-believers should check out the EP featuring Mike Patton, "Irony is a Dead Scene". Much more musical and it actually features some melodies, plus it features DEP's usual brand of kick ass instrumental power. Don't diss these guys until you've seen them live, either.

18. tonedef

tonedef

Oct 18, 2001
    Carlisle, England
    i was soooooooo shocked when i saw Dillinger in he summer....the worst band i have EVER seen!

disgusting!

19. I do listen to several genres...don't make such a quick judgement on me

I downloaded "When good dogs do bad things"....which left me thinking "How could anyone possibly like [expletive] like this?" That one definatly goes my list of "worst songs ever"

But if thats what floats your boat, then by all means listen to it.

20. Well, I'm sorry it's no Blink 182 *snickers* :)D ), but it's incredibly inventive stuff, you just have to get used to the dissonance and the speed. I suggest you check out "Pig Latin"...it's really strange but it's much more accessable than "When Good Dogs Go Bad". I also suggest you check out the instrumental version of "43% Burnt"...you can actually hear the complexity without the vocalist. If you don't like that, you can go back to your comfortable four-power-chord-mid-tempo-my-girlfriend-just-dumped-me music and ignore everything I've just typed. (I loves ya, jr ;))