Dillinger Escape Plan

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LizardKing45, Dec 23, 2001.

1. I just want to make a thread here to discuss what may be my very favorite band. eh, i dont know what exactly to talk about, but i want to know if ANYONE out there knows/appreciates their music as much as i do. so fast...so good..so loud...so crazy. its metal/hardcore/jazz mix at its best:p SO if you love/hate them just...say something i feel like talking about em :)
  2. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    yeah, D.E.P spin me out too :D they rip out some pretty mathy stuff, to be sure. not really heavy enough for my tastes, but everytime i hear "43 Percent Burnt" my jaw drops at the intricacy of it all. crazy sh*t.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I saw them open for Mr. Bungle a couple years ago. My friends weren't impressed (perhaps because the vocals were too loud in the mix) but I was blown away by the complexity of their music, and their virtuoso talent which allows them to perform it flawlessly in live performance.

I became a believer. As you mentioned DEP is extremely intense progressive hardcore metal, but their talent level is on par with the Zappa bands.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I love D.E.P. Botch Candiria, Converge, many others. D.E.P. is probable my favorite though, maybe tied with Botch. When the are they coming out with something new?
  5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i heard about them a year or so ago and how good they were so i checked out sum of thier cd's. I didnt really like them, but i appreciate the heck out of them. They were an immensly talented band, i just couldn't get real into thier music. I'm a big punk/emo fan so no surprise there, but i did dig how good they were.
  6. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Oh man, I saw D.E.P. open for Mr. Bungle on the "California" tour. I really wasn't paying too much attention to what was about to start onstage because I was in line to grab a refreshing adult beverage. Needless to say, as soon as they were 4.325 seconds into their first song they had my undivided attention. They were quite possibly the most angry, mad at creation itself, band that I have ever experienced. It was cool. They reminded me a lot of John Zorn's band "Cobra", just more angry and faster.
  7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i like dillinger four but ive never heard of dillinger escape plan.
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Botch are kickarse! :D man, their rendition of "O Fortuna" just rocks everyone's mama!!!
    a style similar to that most awesome of bands Cave In, only they didn't go all soft on me on subsequent releases - "Jupiter" my crusted butt-crack - what the hell happened there? :mad:

9. not heavy enough?!? pleasse tell me what you have been listening to! i have been lookin for the craziest music i can find! my favorites are amongst american nightmare, converge, dep (of course), and the locust.. anything crazier???
  10. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    don't get me wrong, man - Dillinger is some pretty f*cked up sh*t :D what i meant is that it's not really _my_ kind of heaviness, you know? i'm more inclined towards brutal death metal-type stuff, like Cryptopsy, Cannibal Corpse, Skinless, Meshuggah, Pissing Razors, et al.
    though if you wanna hear some really tripped out music, check out a band called Neurosis - most of their songs go for 8 minutes+, and it's just nuts. Isis are pretty cool, too. some of their riffs kick serious posterior :D
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

1) I'm also a big fan of Botch and Candiria. I'll have to check out Converge too.

2) I'm sure most posters in this thread are already aware of this, but if not: check out Relapse Records' "Contaminated 3.0" compilation. It's 2 full CDs of ultra-heaviness for less than five bucks.
  12. I hung out with them and Bungle when they hit Denver on the California tour. Their guitarist broke his low E tuner clean off his guitar or some sh*t.
    They are a cool bunch of guys, They told a few of us this story about how their bassist was wretching in an alley and this girl walked by all disgusted... He stopped and looked up at her, smiled a big pukey grin and said "Hey, what's up gorgeous?" or some sh*t like that.
    The funniest thing that night was this girl who couldn't find the bathroom backstage, so she took a big ole crap in the freaking shower! Mike Patton was pretty amused by that.

I still don't know what she used to wipe her a$$!

Anyways... those guys are really great! I haven't heard of them coming around here since then. Patton on vocals? Is he going to do lead or guest parts? I haven't heard anything about this!?
  13. i bought "calculating infinity" a couple years ago and loved it. i now have lost intrest in it, but i love hardcore. i can't really stand the technical hardcore though, i like full out heavy. heard THROWDOWN? that's my hardcore heh. but yea, dillinger is a good band, crazy stuff.
  14. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    right on.
  15. DEP smashes Botch no pun intended
    ISIS is the most boring crap i ever had to see live with napalm death.

i havent checked out neurosis but eh. CRYPTOPSY SLAYS ALL!
  16. odie

odie Supporting Member

Now Botch is straight edge. Is DEP??
  17. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    lemme guess ... TabCrawler, right?
  18. i saw botch once, in a very small club, quite a scene! i haven't seen DEP though. but....

THROWDOWN kills you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. what do you mean tabcrawler?
  20. I saw Botch open for The Murder City Devils. I didn't like them at all. It's all a matter of taste, fellas.

Too bad Botch doesn't have any! :p