Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dillion Brian May Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Superdave, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Has anyone heard of the Dillion Brain May bass? Anyone ever play it? How's it sound? Playability? Worth the money?

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    http://www.basspalace.com/dynamic/displaybass/4StringBass/2908

Hey, that thing looks sort of cool. Didn't know Brian played bass. I doubt you'd be able to get a very modern sound out of it, though. It looks like a short scale, and the wood they used for the body and the neck looks like mahogany. I'm guessing this bass is probably very "vitage"-sounding.

3. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, I checked around, I'm going for it. It has a cool look, thick neck, and judging from what I've heard, it can't sound that bad. it's a 34' neck, fullscale. May plays guitar, but I guess the company working of his guitars put out a bass. Resembles a Gibson Grabber in a way, what I was looking for when I found this. I'm calling tomorrow.

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    My guess is that it's called the Brian May because it's based on his guitar - it looks just like it, and, like Brian May's guitar, it has a ton of switches. I doubt May ever played it.

5. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea it does resemble a Gibson Grabber. I never saw a Brian May bass, although I have seen his custom guitar model. Its look cool though and seems very versatile with 3 pickups.

6. Fluke

Fluke

Jul 20, 2002
    Grrrr that is a cool idea, but what the hell is the matter with the placement of the pickups? Just having two pickups with one being so far from the bridge is pretty silly, but three is just insane.

[​IMG]

7. Yes, I think so, too. I wonder why this instrument doesn't have bindings and a parallel neck though, seeing the manufacturer even copied the placement of the pick-ups (I second Fluke's opinion on that).