1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dillion stringray copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tony-moore, Apr 22, 2001.

1. hey folks,

if anyone is looking for a cheap stingray, check out dillion instruments. i just bought a new 5 string, fretted, natural finish, maple neck dillion 'stingray' on ebay for $335. incredible for the price. i've had a friends '79 stingray for about 6 months now and this cheap korean copy is every bit the bass this vintage pre-ernie ball stingray is, and this original maintained very well. i am shocked. even the setup was decent. the frets were better than almost all the new basses i've played on the wall at gc. i dressed them a bit and tweaked the setup, but i always do that :) anyway, just thought i'd pass along the info.

swing low,

tony

2. Hello my friend, just wanted to tell you that I own a Dillon 5 String bass myself. I must say, it was a pretty good investment..........

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I had one up until a year ago (5-string). I sold it to buy another (what I thought was a better) five string. I was wrong. I bought another Dillion 5 a couple of months ago and i'm waiting for it to arrive. Should be another two weeks.
    This is a excellent instrument. With a couple of minor modifications it becomes even better.
    I think these are one of the industry's best kept secrets. Definitely worth checking them out.
    The address of their website is;
    www.dillionguitars.com
    Cheers

4. hey bassman,

what modifications did you make to yours?

swing low,

tony

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    can i see some pictures... and the ebay link if you have... they look cool and it´s a good price

6. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I replaced the bass boost pot with a push/pull pot. The p/p pot not only handles the bass boost, but it also is wired to permit me to switch the pick-up from series to parallel. This give the bass lots of extra (in your face) tone/volume.
    The only other thing I did was to upgrade the other two pots with better ones. No changes, just better pots.
    I used the bass on stage a number of times and in the studio. I was very impressed (as was everyone else) with the sound of it in the studio (going direct).
    Cheers
    PS - If I could figure out how to post pics on here, i'd gladly post some nice photos of my Dillion VMB-500/5. If anyone's interested, i'll gladly email them to you.

7. Is maple to only wood available for the fretboard? btw: mighty fine lookin bass there.

8. Hey Bassman, can you send me the pics that you have of your Dillion. I'm interested to see what yours looks like.
    If you can, send it to Da5FingaPlyr@aol.com

Thanks

9. hey bassman,

good mods! i'll have to give that a shot. you could really go crazy with stacked pots and install a pre with sweepable mids, etc. but i really do dig the way it sounds right outa the box.

i would like to put a tortoise shell guard on it tho' instead of the white one. anyone know of a place that can make one? i'm assuming i'll have to either send them the original or trace it.

oh, the other cool cosmetic thing about the dillion ray is that it has a fender headstock with clover leaf tuners. very cool!

and i really dig the tight string spacing. maybe too tight for slappers tho'...

swing low,

tony

ps - now if they would only make a fretless...

10. as far as i know, maple is the only available fretboard wood. tho' it is a very warm sounding bass. i did ask dillion about the possibility of making a rosewood board and even a fretless version, and they say no go for now.

tony

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    BTW: how good are the Jay Turser Copies?...
    if you had to decide between Jay Turser MM copy and Dillon MM Copy, which would you choose?

12. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Your correct Dave in that the VMB-500/5 is only available with a Maple neck. However the body is available in either Natural with white pickguard or Sunburst with a black pickguard.

Dave FYI, the Jay Turser instruments are made in China where the Dillion's are made in Korea at the same plant making Tokai's. The Dillion's are far ahead of the Turser in overall quality, fit and finish in my opinion. I would take the Dillion MM over the Turser MM anyday.

tony-moore I don't know if John Dillion has any plans to make a fretless version of any of his bass line-up. The mods that I did were pretty simple but added to my basses versatility and reliability (of the electronics).

I noticed that Steve's Music Center in upstate NY, has two Dillion VMB-500/5's available for sale one in each colour. I know Steve's has a web site with the basses listed and pictured on it, check it out or run a search on gbase.com for Dillion and they'll turn up.

Cheers

PS - DerrickKDavis, I hope you liked the pictures.

13. Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Let's try this to see if the image comes up. Here's my original Dillion GMB-550
    Cheers

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i visited their website because i'd really like to have a cheap good sounding 5 string, the dillion seems to be great. i'd like to know from you guys who still play your dillion new comments, how the thing is going on working? and new dillion players out there?
    thanks
    they have a nice jazz too. it seems a geddy lee jazz clone.

www.dilliongiutars.com

here what i'm speaking about:

VMB500-5_natural.

15. Pea-NUT

Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    If you haven't noticed..they edited the 4 string thumbpic. Just kinda funny..they put a little blotch over the top left tuner...
    4 tuner keys..5 strings

16. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Check out there Jazz bass....I want that...Geddy Lee written all over that

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    DMB80-close.

:)

18. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    I gotta say, a lot of the Korean copies, are awesome. Korean basses and guitars alike have been getting a lot of bad raps (mainy due to Rougue), quality wise they are just like ones made in the US, there are good ones and bad ones. I had a old Strat copy that my dad bought in Korea for $25 US, one of my friends had a '75 Fender Natural Ash Strat, and said mine played better than his strat. Of course with any US made bass, there are goods and bads, so you have to just pick through them.

19. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I might be headed down to Mars on Saturday or on election day and if I see any knock offs I'll tell you how I like it. I'm not going to bother with plugging it in, but I can you how it feels and such. I own a scarred 91 MM Sting Ray by the way. Why don't yopu just buy a used MM? I got mine for $400 bucks. Was my first bass.

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    here in italy the price for a used MM in 5 string is $1250. here the reason i'm interested in the dillion....