Dimarzio 123 in my MIM J - For me?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ilikebadmusic, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Ilikebadmusic

Jan 4, 2003
    I am not the kind of guy who has the know how to buy a pair of pups, try them out, return them if he likes 'em or not. No, that's not me. I'm a clutz, I know jack about electronics and I got no solderin' iron. Okay, now I'm looking to get a better sound out of my MiM J (Yes, I know it's cheap and shouldn't sound good, yes I know I should save up my money and buy a "real" bass. Look, I like my cheap-o instruments and I always will! I'LL NEVER CONFORM TO YOUR $1,000 BASS STANDARDS, HEATHENS!). Except, I don't know if the 123 is right for me. So far, it looks like its the best, but I've only READ about it, I havn't really tried it out.

I'm looking for a growly, ballsy, fierce sound. Not your usual, corny high-fi bass sound that could be best described as a fart FROM THE FUTURE. What I'm looking for probably won't be found in the pick ups, and I know. I don't play in a jazz band, I don't play in a country band, I don't play in a rock 'n roll band. I play in a punk band inspired by bands like Rudimentary Peni, Big Black. And my MIM pick ups arn't really giving me that relentless, tank rolling through parking lot sound that I want. I try to make sound growlier by overdriving my amp with a Keeley modified rat, it sounds good and all but my bass isn't cutting it. It plays okay, but it hums and sounds sub-par. And I don't want to pay more than $100 to make it sound any better. Because I'm a jerk. And I figure pick ups will help out more than anything, right?
  2. The Model Js are excellent rock pickups. I had 'em in my MIM Jazz before the (very green) neck warped.

Be warned: you may find yourself turning down the lows. They're ballsy pickups.
  3. Ilikebadmusic

Jan 4, 2003
    Heh, that shouldn't be a problem, as I am use to keep the lows quiet, as the MIM J's are pretty boomy. The lows don't over shadow the mids/highs, do they? Would they cut through 2 guitars nicley?
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I had a set in a MIA Jazz, and like Pete said, theyre ballsy. Id buy another set in a minute, I liked them that much.

Now, depending what year your MIM is, you may have to rout out the bridge pickup slot to fit the 123's. Prior to 2001 both pickups on the MIM J are the same dimension. On the newer MIM J's, the bridge pickup is slightly longer than the neck pickup(thats how the MIA's are).