1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DiMarzio Area J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BioDriver, Apr 4, 2009.

1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I did a search :p

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Area J pickups and how they compare to the Model J or other hum-canceling vintage J pickups. The price ($110 a set) is veeeeeeery tempting.

2. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Very interesting.. Very Very interesting... That pickup must be a new model as it wasn't there about a week ago.

I used both Model J and UltraJazz pickups, was not impressed that much. Both of them didn't sound very jazz-ish to me. I also used other codename "area" Dimarzio pickups and they are my choice of single coils. They had very impressive "vintage sound without the hum". I never believed that statement in my life until I tried them.

If it is anything like them, I see area Js in my future.

3. Yes, this should be very very new. Where did you have that price BTW? I'd like to try it.

4. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
  5. Not shipping outside the states. Duh! :(

6. BioDriver

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Eh.... oops :bag:

Well it says the set has a list price of $180, so I'm going to guess the asking price on the set will be $130 to $140.

Also, they are apparently just recently announced so I haven't been able to find any comparisons or reviews online.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Must be super new. When I checked yesterday they didn't even have pics of them on the DiMarzio website.

8. It's not your fault SoonerMatt, no problem.
    I'll have to wait until a TB'er would buy and wouldn't like it and sell in classifieds and so on... :bawl:
    They still don't have a picture on their website. They removed X2BN without any notice a while ago, they have Billy Sheehan picture on the Model One page whereas what he uses are WillPowers. Not the best webpage, wake up DiMarzio!

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Hmm... These look very interesting indeed... :meh:
    I recently posted a thread (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529077), asking for input on the DiMarzio Model J as opposed to the Sadowsky H/C Jazz (based on the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz) as a suitable pickup for fretless bass. But based on the above description from the DiMarzio website, it looks as if I may have found my fretless pickup! :hyper:

It would seem to correspond rather nicely with Ken Jung's suggestions to go single-coil...but without the S/C hum. I'm especially encouraged by the references to "warmth, sustain, and a clean, singing tone", "very focused attack", and "power where it counts - at the center of the tone". With a Bartolini 3-band onboard pre, and a first-class set-up, I'll bet these babies would really mwah... :cool:

MM

10. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Dimarzio doesn't have a dealer or a reseller in Turkey?

11. You already know the answer Osman, yes there is a dealer, selling on ridiculous list price or even more, and I don't want to give them even a penny in extra. And I'll have to wait when they'll decide to make a bulk shipping which may take 3 to 6 months. Great isn't it?

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Now that SGD Lutherie has pickups in J cases I'd be looking there instead or as well as.

13. Look interesting.

I'm a fan of DiMarzios (I have Model J's in my Jazz), I'd be willing to check them out

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Interesting... the Area J specs show it's got a slightly hotter output than the Model J. But it probably doesn't sound as loud because it has slightly less low end. I'd say if you're after more treble articulation than a Model J it'd be worth a try.

15. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I just spoke with Jeremy at DiMarzio. He tells me that the Area Js have been on the market for about a month now, and that they're readily available through any DiMarzio dealer.

Though they haven't yet posted any photos on their website, I'm told that the Area Js look identical to the Ultra Jazz, although they don't have as much output. According to Jeremy, Mike Tobias recently received a shipment of the Area Js and is very impressed.

Take it for what it's worth...

MM

16. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Subscribed Thread Bump

Anyone out there?

God Bless, Ray

17. I have heard that the Model J's are too deep and lack clarity, so maybe the Area J's would be an improvement?

18. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    I checked every online Dimarzio dealer I know and guess what? None of them have it in stock. A google search didn't provide results either. I bet nobody has this particular pickup other than Mike Tobias?? :D:D

19. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    My thinking exactly - although the verdict is apparently mixed on the Model J's alleged lack of clarity. At this point I'm sort of torn between the Area Js and the Model Js for my fretless...

BTW, the new photos of the Area J are now up on the DiMarzio website. They're actually not identical to the Ultra Jazz - the Ultra Jazz has larger pole pieces - although the Area J does look very much like a vintage Jazz single coil...

MM

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I personally think that the Model J's are great pickups, but not for everything. They don't sound like single coils. They're more aggressive and wider if memory serves me right.

I just sent an email over to my friends at bestbassgear to see if they'll be getting them in. I love the pickups that Dimarzio makes for guitar and I really wish they would do more with bass pickups. It's good to see a new pickup model from them.