Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio DP 123 & series/parallel switching?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sako, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    From all I've read/heard from past threads, I think I'm going to try the DiMarzio DP 123 pups for my Fender Hwy 1 Jazz and the series/parallel switching.

I think I would like stacked vol/vol, DPDT switch, tone knob setup.

Would this setup offer the most versatility for tone? Any others to consider? Do I need any special pots?

My stock pups are very noisey and the tone knob is useless -- always has to be on all the way. For some songs, I turn off my neck pup and fingerpick near the bridge. This is the most tonal diversity I have.

I'm new to all of this and will probably have a luthier do the install, but I at least want to know what I'm talking about before I get the job done. Thoughts?

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    If you have no love for your tone pot, as you say, why not swap it out with a new one that also has a push-pull DPDT switch? Sounds like you can kill two birds with one stone that way, and leave your vol pots as they are.

Coincdentally, I happen to have an SX Jazz modded the same way - DP123's, with a series/parallel push-pull in the tone position. Love it; very versatile setup. :D

3. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I didn't realize that was an option. Is there a particular brand/supplier to get the push/pull tone knob? Is it in the traditional Jazz style?

Also, would replacing my vol pots to "higher quality" models be worthwhile, if that's possible?

Note: I play blues, rock, funk, jazz styles of music.

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Sure is. I used this dude here, the 250K version:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...s:_Control_pots_and_knobs/3/Control_Pots.html

It's really two devices in one; on the "front end", you have a tone pot; just remove the wiring from the one currently in your bass, and wire this one in the same way. On the "back end", you have the DPDT switch you need for series/parallel, activated by pushing/pulling the same knob that controls your tone. Pop your existing knob onto the shaft, and appearance of your bass should be unchanged.

Of course you could swap out your vol pots, if you wish, but I didn't think Hwy 1 pots were too bad to begin with. But the DP123's and a series/parallel wiring will make a big difference, that I can promise you; you might be perfectly satisfied once that's done.

5. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC

That sounds great, thanks for the information.