1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dimarzio DP-127 P pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Muddslide, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I did a search. Not a lot of discussion about these pups here, and none in quite a while.

Anyone have some popped into their P? I'd love to hear some thoughts/reviews.

Thanks.

2. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    I had a set in my Squier P.

These are very punchy, modern sounding pickups with a nice, scooped slap tone. They weren't warm enough for me so I swapped them out with American Fenders. Granted, I never gave them a chance with a good set of pots...

3. VtheMech

VtheMech

Jul 18, 2007
    Maryland, USA
    i have them in my franken P... CTS pots/ orange .05 cap.

VERY high output. Modern sound.

The double blade design isn't my fav. Sometimes by accident, i push my resting thumb down too far on the E string while reaching for the G. It makes a loud annoying scratch sound. I know it's bad technique, but it never happens on the regular magnets pole.

I think about selling them for a vintage P sound or keep the modern tone with 1/4 pounders...

4. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    I've got a set in my Pbass, and I like them now. Before they were real punchy and at times alot of string noise, then I went from round wounds to flats. The sound is cleaner but still powerful. But again that is with my ear and MHO.

5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm leaning towards thinking this is probably not the pup for me. I like punchy, but I'm not really looking for a markedly "modern" sound or one that is too bright.

I've also heard they are very microphonic and really broadcast every finger squeak and clack.

That would bother me.

I'm sure they are excellent pups in the right context, and I play a very wide range of music, but I guess what I'm looking for is something more traditional but that also has a lot of power and can go from simple country-ish walking basslines to punk to funk to classic rock to whatever...

Any suggestions?

Fender RI '62 pup maybe? I hear good things about those...

6. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I am very happy with my Dimarzio Model P, it does exactly what you are asking. I had a 62 reissue pbass pickup (also called original p bass pickup), and I like this better- much warmer to my ears, not as much high end, which is what I want. I especially love it with the tone rolled all the way off, it gets very sweet there, not at all muddy.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005

8. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Had the DP127 didn't care for it. Fender 62 P is what I'd go with. You put it in a P bass and it sounds like a P bass. And the price is right.

The standard P pickup from dimarzio is pretty good though.

9. i_g55

i_g55

May 26, 2005
    istanbul
    The standard DiMarzio Model-P (DP122) is a very successful unit. The tone is quite similar to the Fender P pickup but with slightly more lower mids. What I liked especially was the growl when you dig the strings hard. It was somewhere between the classic P tone and the Jazz bass growl, and was very pleasant.

Another P pickup I would definitely recommend is the Rio Grande Muy Grande for Precision. I simply loved its tone on my MIJ 57 RI Precision with alder body and maple fretboard. It sounded great with both roundwounds (DR Lo-Riders) and flatwounds (LaBella Jamerson Set). It has a very nice midrange accent. Would make your P cut the mix even better.