1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dimarzio DP123 Jazz Bass Pickups on a Geddy Lee???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by burtonisalive, Apr 17, 2006.

1. I'm wondering if any Geddy owners have upgraded their pickups since buying it. Or for that matter, if anyone has these pickups and if there is a noticible difference in the sound.

I would like to keep my Geddy as a Passive bass, so any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

2. I love the Model Js like they were my own left and right nut. I haven't had my old Mexi-J for years but they RIPPED through a mix. Highly recommended.

3. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    +1

There are a couple shootout threads, I think in the FAQ, or you can do a search for pickup shootout. I found clips of various ones, can't remember if they were in the shootout or on some other website. The Model J's are a top contender if you like ballsy tone.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, look in the pickups faq and you'll see a link to a thread of mine with a bunch of different pickups recorded in a geddy lee jazz bass.

Definitely a noticable difference in sound, the Model J's are a lot more agressive sounding.

5. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I put some 123's in a warmoth a couple years back. I still have it.. they are ok. I actually like the sound that comes from my stock ibanez gsr 205 better. I'm trying ot think of words to describe the tone of the 123's. Maybe alittle too dark for me? They not bad I'm not disatisfied, probably not get them again.. i've been hearing good things about the passive bartolini j's.

6. DiMarzio J´s are humbuckers, so they give a strong fat tone. When I had them on my old FJB, my playing was also more agressive than with single coils (which I felt "cheese").I remember in the 70´s, when DiMarzio began to produce these model J´, many guys (me too) changed the stock single coil pickups for DiMarzios to get more output of their basses.Active basses were not produced in these times. But after some time almost everybody here came back to singles.I prefer single coils (with the hum) to humbuckers (with the agressivity).

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    If you have a couple of other basses, the DP123s are terrific. They offer a flavor that other J pickups don't do, real bassy and present. Others may disagree (they may well have a lot more experience than I do w custom pickups) but I love what they do to me.

They don't replace a P, ya unnerstan.

8. asnutter

asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    Go with the model j's...
    I have replaced the standard p'ups in my geddy with the Dimarzio model j's and wired as recommended to keep the bass passive...
    The bass blows the windows out of any venue I have been at...
    The pickups from the geddy are fender jazz originals---still not bad p'ups...