Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio DP123 Model J

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SoLoW, May 16, 2003.

1. SoLoW

SoLoW

May 6, 2003
    Texas
  2. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    What year is your MIM? If it's the "updated" version (2001 or later) you can buy any set you want. But, if it's older, you'll need two neck pickups. Your bridge cavity won't be large enough for a bridge pickup.

Buying two neck pickups presents a problem. Traditional single coil pickups won't hum-cancel because if they're identical (which is what they'll be if you're buying two neck pickups). This limits you to the humbuckers if you want to eliminate the noise. DiMarzio Model J's and their Ultra Jazz are both humbuckers and good choices. The Model J's have adjustable pole pieces for even string-to-string output, but most prefer the Ultra Jazz. The Ultra Jazz pickups have more highs. Both are well spoken of and receive good reviews. Check out the link below...

http://archive.bassplayer.com/z1999/9903/pickups.shtml

3. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    My MIM jazz is 2000 - serial number begins with MZ0 - and I had no problem installing Bartolini pickups. So I think that 2000 or later basses wont have that problem...

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Not to mention that widening the cavity isn't all that difficult. You can do it with a file if you are patient or with some kind of small power tool like a Dremel if you're not. I was worried about doing that when I realized that I was screwing around with a Mexican Jazz bass which will never become a collectable or appreciate in value. (At least not while I'm alive. ;))

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have DP123s in my AmStd Jazz (natural ash body / Moses fretless graphite neck). I really like what they did to my Jazz - much punchier but still with a bit of that Jazz sound.

6. Z_Bass

Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    How do you guys compare the 123 to the 149 Ultra Jazz?

P.S.
    if the serial number for my mim j starts with MZ1 does that mean it was made in 2001?

7. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    FYI

You won't need to buy two neck PUPs. You can order two "DP123S". These are made slightly shorter so that they will fit into the PUP cavities of the MIM basses. The DP123 set consists of one DP123 & one DP123S, and in order to make them fit, you'll have to reverse them.

Check out www.dimarzio.com for more info on this topic.

8. SoLoW

SoLoW

May 6, 2003
    Texas
    Mine is a 2001 model so I'm ok there, I'm about to buy the 123's so I'll be sure to post a review when I get them in.

9. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    mmm... i think i did something wrong with the installation of my dimarzios(dp123), cause they are very noisy(they're not supposed to) when i'm not playing, this noise dissapears only when i touch the stings or tuners or the bridge or...

The other thing is that when i have the 2 pup in 100% the volume seems to decrease, that's why i have to be with the pickups in 80% and 100%, or 100% and 80%, to hear the real punch they have.

the bass is an Aria jazz bass made of alder, with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.

10. I sent an email to DiMarzio for clarification.

The Fender single coils are wound as Northgoing / Southgoing for hum cancellation when both are active. One is wound opposite the other. The DiMarzio jazz pickups are wound directionally identical, the only difference is the width for neck or bridge use. Each DM pickup is hum cancelling in its own right, and does not require the other pickup for this.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That sounds like a grounding issue. Make sure the grounding wire going to the bridge is still making contact, and check make sure you're grounded along all of the controls.

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The DiMarzio's are good pickups, I have an UltraJazz in the neck position of 2 of my basses and really like it.

For ordering, the lowest price I found on the UltraJazz (neck) was a KTJ Music... something like $49, plus $5 shipping.

13. marms

marms

Aug 4, 2010
    One of my Fender pu's stopped working and I had a go with the DPs because Fender being fender had no pickups in stock. All I can say is they are poopiee and I know many people love these PU's but I think they change that Jazz Bass sound totaly dark and muddy and I wired them correctly,lots of output and sillent no hum but still poopiee, not what I wanted I like the sound of a J Bass. Changed back to Fender Vinage PU's and have that beautiful Jazz sound again along with the hum but I can live with that. American J Bass, SWR amps

14. marms

marms

Aug 4, 2010
    If its not broken dont try to fix it I had a go at improving my J and to my expense found a Fender sounds like it does for a reason inc the ***** bridge and hum want a big sound buy a stingray

15. I used Dimarzio DP 123 on my fender MIM and they work fine, but the tone is dark, with a lack of mids and treble in comparison with the fenders pickups. So if you switch you´ll percieve a warmer tone but a lack of presence. They are better quality than the mexican fender pickups, but i dont know if its the best choice. Now i have a pair of bartolinis and they´re more balanced and noisless than di marzio and fender. But it depends on your taste.

16. i have area j s in my mim and i love em. give them a look see.

17. Daftom

Daftom

Jan 26, 2008
    Recorded here, they sound dark, but not muddy. I quite like the tone: http://www.vial-family.ch/bass/session1.html

Did you get a different result?

By the way, does anyone know the max string spacing for these?

18. ironjohn

ironjohn

Jun 1, 2013
    Chicago area
    Correct, Dimarzio J 123 fit just fine in my 2000 MIM Jazz as well, also, my Fender pick guard fits now.

19. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I had a pair of these a long time ago. I think they sound best with players that use a little bit of fingernail or play with a pick. I had a friend who used them and he often played with a pick. Sounded beautifully warm with a nice musical bite.