Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio DP127's for a Squier P Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wdinc01, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Alright well I'm a beginning bass player (been playing for only a few months) and I'm already looking around for a new bass. Now there's nothing wrong with the one I currently have now (a Squier Affinity series P Bass that came in a bass pack). But I was looking around on Musicians Friend today and something caught my eye: the DiMazrio DP127's. My, did they look (dare I say it...) spiffy. And the few reviews that were around for it were all positive.

And so that brings me to my question. Do you think it's a good idea to stick those into my Squier bass guitar? At least until I get a new bass (since I want to build one but, knowing me, that'll cost maybe around a thousand dollars).

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have the same kind of bass, but it came from 2001 when they had the same tuners as the mexican series. And they now have a solid alder body, rather than a ply body. My bass was a experiment bass in which I glued in the neck, and fiddled with electronics a BUNCH. I ended up with and EMG p-set. It had turned out to be one of my favorite basses. So, I think you should try a pickup change, because it may make the bass a regular part of your bass arsenal, even when you begin to buy better stuff. Mine definitely has become one of my main basses.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Agree 100% but not many new guys will buy that spin.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ask Vic here on TalkBass. The thing has a great neck. And he's an adult, even! The body is super light, which makes for some neck dive, but I migth try ultralight tuners on it.

6. Alright thanks for the advice everyone. I dunno if I'd get to try these out soon since I'm...well...poor. I might look around the local music shop and see if they have them in stock so I don't have to pay for shipping and handling.

MAYBE I'll just continually upgrade my Squier. It should (theoretically) be cheaper if I just upgraded the parts when I need to instead of buying (or building) a new bass.

7. it could be cheaper to upgrade piece by piece, but FIRST...you must consider these things:

1..."Is the bass solid enough now to improve from upgrades"? if not "with upgrades, can I improve that aspect"?

2..."Am I prepared to accept the fact that I will never get out of this bass (money wise and time wise) what I've put into it"?

3..."taking what I already have...what things can I do, right now, cheaply to improve sound and playability"?

I've never played a Squier Affinity P-bass...but I did play a Squier California Jazz that I liked more than a Fender MIM Jazz...If I owned it, the first thing I would have done was a decent set up and then probably a series mod, a shielding job...and then left it. Like I said, I already liked how it sounded.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The thing here is that it's a Squier. It's really a good blank canvas for experiementation. The p-bass style bass is so common, that parts are widely available. And you really don't have to worry about resale, it's a Squier. With mine, I gained a really awesome bass without a whole lot of investment.

10. Thanks for the advice PilBara. That really tells me alot. Kinda convinced me I should just go ahead with just upgrading.

But like I said, this might not happen soon. I'm still in the learning process.

And yeah, no worries about resale. I'm a pack-rat. Everything I get my hands on, I hold onto for dear life. I really have a hard time trying to sell stuff, even the most useless of items.