Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DiMarzio Jazz v. Ultra Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by td1368, Feb 6, 2001.

1. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I'm Considering DiMarzio Ultra jazz pickups for a replacments. Just curious about the difference between the DiMarzio Jazz and Ultra Jazz.

Read the Bassplayer J-replacment review.
    It seems the Jazz has a more vintage tone, but the ultra jazz has higher output.

Anyone experiment with these pickups?

2. Hey there..
    I have a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickup in my Carl Thompson bass. I'm really happy with it. One advantage is that it's a humbucker, so it's dead quiet. I'm not sure if that's the case with the regular DiMarzio Jazz pickups. The Ultra Jazz is very solid and punchy sounding. The output is good.. not too hot. I can turn the volume on my bass all the way up without clipping my amp's pre-amp with the gain set at 1pm.
    Before I got the pickup, my bass only had a soapbar, very close to the end of the fretboard, and it sounded way too midrangey. The Ultra Jazz really tightened up the sound. I would recommend it.

3. I have only tried the Standard Jazzes, DP123. They are also split coil humbucking like the Ultra Jazzes. Completely noiseless, even with only one pickup turned up. I loved them so much on my Mexi Jazz, I bought another set for my Korean Squier Jazz. I go for a late 60's, early 70's rock sound, Jimi, Led Zep, etc. and they work great for it. I think the Ultra Jazzes have a more modern Hi-Fi sound capability that the DP123's may not have, although I still have to turn down my Jazz's Tone to about 3 to get a lo-fi thud with the DP123's.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Chris

4. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to track down a set of Ultra Jazz.