Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio J's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shatner, Jun 28, 2005.

1. shatner

shatner

Sep 22, 2004
    Isle Of Wight, UK
    I posted quite a while back about my indecision with pickups for my Marcus Fender Jazz. I have Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups with a Jretro Marcus preamp. The sound can be great on its own, gets rid of hum and slapping is fantastic. However, the bass doesn't seem to cut through in the band as much as it did with the stock pickups. It is very, very bassy now and I realise why. On the Dimarzio site, the sound graph shows it to have scooped mids and loads of bass and I just read a post about the J retro preamp and apparently that naturally seems to boost bass a lot when set flat. Therefore, I'm just getting too much bass and not enough mids.

The Dimarzio J's seem to have more mids so I might invest in those. Does anybody have any experience with both the ultra jazz and model J's? What did you think? I suspect I have a bit of a conflict with the Ultra Jazz and the John East preamp. Ideally I would like to have a completely flat response so I can EQ as I desire later.

MArk

2. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    Forget the graph on the dimarzio site - model js cut like nothing else - it's the j-retro that scoops your mids, even when set flat.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    He was referring to the graph for Ultra Jazz, not Model J's.

Ultra Jazzes do have a scooped sound, I've never been happy with the sound from them in a group setting. The Model J's definitely cut through.

And the J-Retro, while not my cup of tea, doesn't scoop the mids in my opinion. However, the bass eq doesn't have any cut. So when the bass control is at center detent the boost is at 50%. So get 0% bass boost, you have to roll it all the way back.

4. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I like both, a lot. I have the model J's in my sx right now. I had the ultra J's in my MIM with a bart 2 band pre.

The model J's are exactly what anyone else will describe them as, tons of mids, tons of growl, lots of sound to cut through a loud band.
    Adjustable pole pieces are nice to have too. If you have the time to tweak around and find a nice balance, you can make some minor tone changes using them.

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I have a set of ultra jazzes in my bass and I find that if I set my amp's bass eq a little low and boost the low mids then it cuts way better than my skyline 55-01 ever did.

6. I just installed Ultra Jazz on my bass and had no problem whatsoever cutting through in my band, in fact I'm really happy with it.