Dimarzio makes Sadowsky Pickups???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 20, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i've heard this from another forum member. can anyone verify this?

also, i've been thinking of getting a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, but how do they compare to Sadowsky's pickup set? has anyone compared these two using Sadowsky's preamp?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    DiMarzio, Duncan, Bartolini, Lindy Fralin all custom wind pickups for major manufacturers.

I have no idea if DiMarzio makes the Sadowsky pickups but rest assured that even if they do, they are custom winding them to Sadowsky's specs and do not sell the same pickups under their own name.
  3. I have sadowsky pups on both my basses. On one bass, I have single coil vintage style jazz set. I don't know whether they were wound by Duncan or dimarzio. Both companies wind for Sadowsky. On my PJ, I have a PJ set, and the J pickup in this set is without doubt a modified ultrajazz pickup...it even has the ultrajazz sticker on the bottom. The obvious modification is camber on the pole pieces, to match the camber of the strings.

And the green/red/black/white colour coding is totally dimarzio.

Whether custom wound or not is irrelevant. The point is that Roger thinks they are good enough for his basses, and no one has ever complained about the sound of a Sadowsky bass.

I paid a great deal more for my single coils than I did for the PJ set, which suggests to me that the single ARE perhaps specail orders.

They sound fantastic on MY basses, BTW.
  4. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    I talked to Roger awhile back on this. I have the humbucker version that is standard on the 4-string jazz Sadowsky. Because of the dynamic range of the Sadowsky preamp, his pickups are wound to custom spec's (ie, no reason to wind super hot when you have a hot preamp). His pickups are probably wound with fewer coils and less output to get more of a dynamic signal to the preamp which then modifies the sound (magnificently I might add)

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ